Hi Asana Community!
Neel, Product Marketing Manager from Asana, here to tell you all about our highly anticipated release of video messaging in Asana, powered by Vimeo—which is rolling out soon!
To help engage teams and collaborate smarter, Asana has partnered with Vimeo to bring asynchronous video messaging to life and give team members the clarity they need to move work forward.
Text may get the point across, but written words lack tone, emotion, and expression. With video messaging in Asana, powered by Vimeo, you can give your team all the context they need, without having to schedule another meeting. Record short video messages of yourself, your screen, or both, then embed the videos in tasks, projects, messages, and comments to provide additional clarity and context. Then, a transcript of the recording is automatically created by Asana, making it readable and searchable. Give feedback, ask questions, and assign tasks—all without leaving Asana.
(Coming soon) With video messaging in Asana, powered by Vimeo, you can:
- Inspire your team by showing your excitement for an upcoming project
- Provide creative feedback with additional context and tone
- Get your team excited about an upcoming project and bring the goals of that initiative to life
- Share campaign updates and launch overviews to keep cross-functional stakeholders in sync
- Recap customer conversations and next steps to direct your sales team with purpose
- Share demos of product or design walkthroughs without scheduling another meeting
- Show best practices to educate stakeholders and improve team efficiency
How do I get started?
(Coming soon) For the new video messaging in Asana feature:
- Open the task where you want to record a video message
- Click the “Description” or “Comment” section
- Then select the “Record a video” icon in the bottom right-hand corner of the toolbar
- From the recording configuration window, select an option: record your screen, yourself, or both
- Once you have chosen your recording option, click “Start recording”
- Once you’ve finished recording, select “Add video” to save your video in the Description or Comment section of the task (for Comments and Messages, you’ll be able to add additional text to describe the video in draft mode, or just send the video on its own)
- Once the video is added, Asana will automatically create and upload a transcript of the recording
For the existing embedding videos in Asana feature:
- Open the project where you’d like to embed a video
- Click on the “Overview” tab
- In the Key Resources section, click “Create project brief” (note: if there’s already a Project Brief, click anywhere on the title)
- When the Project Brief opens, click “Edit” on the top right
- Navigate to the section in the Brief where you’d like to embed a video
- From here, click on “Insert” and then “Media”
- Paste in the URL and click “Embed link” for the video player to expand below it
Note: at this time, you cannot record video messages or receive transcripts of recordings from Project Brief. If this is something you’re looking for, let us know! We’re always working to improve features based on feedback from our Asana Community.
The new video messaging in Asana feature is available to all Asana plans, including Basic, Premium, Business, and Enterprise users and will be enabled by default. Users can record up to 2 videos without needing a Vimeo account. On their next recording, the user will be prompted to create a free Vimeo account to continue recording unlimited videos for free. To learn more about using the Vimeo + Asana features, visit the Asana Guide.
And as always, let us know your thoughts and feedback! What are some ways this feature will help you inspire teams, especially when you’re not all in one place? Comment below and please share how we can further improve on the way you and your teams collaborate together. Thanks!