Color Coded Tasks/Sections

Would love to be able to color code tasks in the list and board views. Would help me organize much more easily.

15 Likes

Hello @Gregory_Tran and welcome to the forum :wave: ,

I’m a very visual person and love organizing with colors, so I love the idea. Can you elaborate how you would like to be able to see additional color functions?

One work around for now would be to use tags or custom fields with colors to organize tasks within projects. Remember you can also add emojis to task and project names too.

Katie

6 Likes

I am planning on doing a complete study of the color choice done by Asana when a task in a board has tags and custom fields and is part of colored project (not that easy to grasp).

2 Likes

Hi Katie, I actually didn’t know that you could use tags - that will probably be sufficient for me.

The tags were buried in a deeper menu so it might be good if that was brought out of the overflow menu so it would be more easily discoverable.

5 Likes

My feeling is that tags have been buried more and more over the years. Even the simplest feature like listing the tags don’t exist and I had to do it myself iDO Tools - Improve Asana with our tools and automations, that is a strong indicator of tags not being worked on in my opinion.

1 Like

It would be nice if you can customise cards colour code based on due date or customer fields dropdown. This is helpful when a task needs attention and easily distinguish rather than the small due date colour coding.

It doesn’t need to be the card to recolour the background entirely. A border on top with at least 10px width is enough.

20 Likes

Hi @Rolando_Evaristo and thank you for sharing your feedback with us!

I’m merging your post with an existing thread on this topic to consolidate feedback. Please don’t forget to upvote it by clicking on the Vote button next to the title :slight_smile:

Have a great day Rolando!

2 Likes

Fantastic! Thank you @Natalia

2 Likes

This would be amazingly helpful.

1 Like

It would be nice to color-code tasks in the list view. - This would be helpful for when we schedule non-team related tasks or something like vacation.

I already feel that fields and tags are too cluttered in list view and adding one just for color would make the clutter worse.

8 Likes

Would love to be able to mark different tasks as different colors for various purposes.

3 Likes

Hi @Mikel_Coale

Have you thought about using tags or custom fields to accomplish this? For example, a lot of people will use a tagging system such as ‘On hold’ in red, ‘In progress’ in amber and ‘Complete’ in green.

If you use custom fields you can also set up a drop-down with different options in different colours, and people can change them as they progress.

With either option, you can then create advanced searches for tasks associated with certain tags or fields, so it makes it much easier to track and report.

@Alexis wrote a great post on this elsewhere, which might help you decide which to use:

3 Likes

Hi Asana-Team,
Thanks for the great job on developing Asana and providing such a good product.
It would be very helpful to be able to color single task-cards completely, beyond different color options for tags.
Thanks,
Flo

2 Likes

It would be really helpful if we could change the background color of a line in list view, even if the choices were limited to white and gray. This would help legibility if we are building a dashboard. For example, in the attached image, this dashboard gives us a helicopter view of work plan implementation. Each of the identified key challenges in the strategy has a line that is like a section header, and then there is a progress tracker line for each initiative under that key challenge. It would be nice if we could have the key challenges in gray or another color to better see the structure. dashboard|690x350

1 Like

Is it possible to make the various sections of a task different colors, or better to allow customization of these at either a user level, workspace level or project level…

I find it difficult to see the different between the Task Description, Sub-Tasks, Task log and Task Updates. The ability to have each of these sections with a slightly different color background would help, plus the ability to be able to set the font color of these would be great…

3 Likes

@Chris_Ball1 at this time we do not offer customization of the various portions of a task. However, with Asana Enterprise we do invite customers to customize Asana with their own logo.

1 Like

Hi Alexis

No problems

Just lodging this as an enhancement request, even if it is only on the Enterprise level

Many thanks

Chris Ball
Operations and Development Manager

RSM Financial Services Australia

6 Likes

I would love to have this same capability. We would love to color code our section titles red, yellow, green as a quick visual status on each section in a task.

12 Likes

Me too! Colour coding would be very helpful for some of us visual thinkers!

9 Likes

Would love to add color to sections too. Is that a feature available now?

3 Likes