Check out our latest training on time tracking

You can find the recording here: https://asana.com/guide/trainings/tracking-time.

In the training we review:

• How to set up 4 common time tracking integrations
  • How to estimated and actual time for your team on key projects using custom fields
  • How to track your own time spent and analyze your productivity over time using custom fields, advance search, and exports

Feel free to post questions from the training here or share your own time tracking tips.

Do you track your time?

Thank you Katie for sharing training session recording.

What will happen with all the reports you mentioned if there are several of your colleagues tracking time in the same field in the same task?

I envision that you just to not do work collectively on the same task by different people (even sequentially) changing the Assignee, but would break task down to subtasks if there is need to have part of the work to have done by someone else.

In my organization it is normal to just do own part of work and reassign to someone else after finishing own part. How time tracking in custom fields, altogether with reporting you showed would work in this scenario? Should I create as many Time Tracking fields as I have different colleagues, and make each of them to record time into own field?

What are you doing with the tasks that make you several days to complete? Are you breaking them down to subtasks with each having own Due Date? What if I had done task one day, and not having finished it one day would finish it another day? I suppose time spent would account just to whatever Due Date in the task is left. And for best results I’d have to break tasks to two different subtasks with different due dates just to have parts of the time spent accounted to proper days. Am I right? Isn’t it too big manual task management overhead just to have better reports?

The link no longer works! Do you have an updated link to the time tracking webinar? Thanks!

Sorry about that- you can now find it here: https://asana.com/guide/trainings/tracking-time. Let us know what you think!

The link still does not work.

Hi @William_Wu - Sorry for the delay here. We’re updating our trainings page and it’s taking us a bit longer than expected. Thanks for your patience as we sort this out. We should see an update shortly.

that link redirects to: https://academy.asana.com/

Please remove the quiz section at the end or give ability to simply skip.

Hi @Alexis, is there any update on when we’ll be able to watch this video?

Sorry for the delay, @Alex_Cranstoun and group! This video has been translated into an Asana Academy course on time tracking, which you can find here: https://academy.asana.com/series/master-asana/time-tracking-course

Hi @Kaitie,
I recent watched the time tracking video several times and have a few questions.

In your work tracking project you have such tasks as
Start at desk
Daily Interactions
Email Interactions
Inbox/Misc Maintenance
Leave the Office

Are this all daily repeating tasks?
What is start at desk and leave office and how to you track them?
What is the difference between Email management and Inbox maintenance?
What is daily interactions?

It appear that you have a VERY organized system to be able to track every minute of the day by category…or am I understanding your system?

Thanks and keep the training coming.

Thanks for watching the training recording and for following up with such great questions :smile:

In general, I do try to track all of my time throughout the workday in 15 minute increments so I can understand categorically where I’m spending my time to make adjustments as needed month-over-month. I also dabble in quantified self-type tracking and am always playing around with various categories to track, which is where tasks like the daily interactions and start/leave tasks come from. These often change as I gather insights and refine my systems to track different areas. For example, I no longer use the “start” and “leave” individual tasks, instead I now have one daily task that has custom fields for “Time started” and “Time left” along with “WFH hours”. This allows me to track the time spent in the office against the actual time tracked on individual tasks to determine how efficient I’m being over the day.

To answer your specific questions:

• Are these all daily repeating tasks? Yes, all of these tasks you mentioned are recurring tasks set to recur weekly on M-F
  • What is start at desk and leave office and how to you track them? These were tasks I used to enter the time I start and stop work at the office. As noted above, I now use one daily recurring task that have custom fields for both of the times that I input daily (screenshot below).
    02%20AM
    I use this to track time spent in the office by exporting the project where these live (about once a quarter) and then calculating the difference between these two column fields which gives me the time in the office daily. I use these stats to calculate average time spent and to see trends over time.
  • What is the difference between Email management and Inbox maintenance? At Asana, we don’t use email internally, so the distinction between these is primarily for customer facing communications (which are over email) and internal communications, which are through Asana Inbox. I also include general administrative and maintenance type items in “Inbox/Misc Maintenance” for things such as preparing my daily task list, reviewing calendar, etc.
  • What is daily interactions? This is a task I use to track my interactions with teammates in the office. This is another QS-type tracking as I noticed I was being less social as I tried to increase productivity, and so I wanted to hold myself accountable for socializing with folks in the office regularly. Thus, by tracking my interactions daily, I can review who I am connecting with and how often.

Hope this makes sense, and let me know if you need clarifications or want me to dig into anything else. As you can tell, I like to geek out :nerd_face: about this topic :smile:

Got it. Thanks for the clarifications.

It is a great topic as time-tracking is directly connected with productivity. With Asana, you get access to diverse options. I had a good experience of using https://tmetric.com/ :slight_smile: :sunny: the basics needs of accurate time-tracking and having visual timeline of your work-break time and activity level are satisfied perfectly with this tool too.