Change keyboard shortcut for new task creation from ↵ to ⇧+↵

This isn’t the first time I’ve become disappointed with your keyboard shortcut implementation, but I think this one is probably the more frustrating of my issues with it: pressing ↵ always creates a new task, even when this is clearly not the result a user expects from pressing the ↵ key. The result is all our projects teeming with empty tasks without owners. I swear this happens to me at least once every minute while working in Asana, and it looks like I’m not alone. Apparently, this has been around all the way since 2012 (based on this tweet). It’s really a shame it hasn’t been fixed / addressed in all that time.

Hijacking ↵ like this is really bad practice (maybe with the exception of chat applications, but even here most apps make this an opt-in feature only). ⇧+↵ would be a much more appropriate keyboard combination to use for this shortcut. Just as easy to use, but without the unintended side effects (thousands of empty tasks getting created and deleted). Alternatively, make this (or every) keyboard shortcut opt-in or toggleable between the ↵ and ⇧+↵ version.

When can we expect improvements on the keyboard shortcuts?

12 posts were merged into an existing topic: Accidentally adding tasks just by clicking blank spaces