Can't undo making a task a subtask (board view)

I’ve made a task a subtask of another task. However I want to undo this and move the task away from being a sub-task and back to the board.

All I can see to enable this is adding the subtask to the board (but remaining as a subtask).

If I delete the sub-task from the parent task it deletes the task entirely!

Unless i’m missing something, this feels like a massive oversight?

1 Like

Hi @rob, welcome to the Forum! You are correct, at this time, it is not possible to move subtasks from its parent tasks (convert a subtask into a task) in the Board layout. I’m sorry for the trouble.

As a workaround, you could use the Advanced Search tool to view the Project content in a List layout. In that view, you would be able to click the subtask in the right pane and drag it to the center pane, converting it into a parent task. I know this is not the ideal solution, but it should help you in the meantime. We are currently working to allow users to easily switch from Board to List and vice-versa, so I’ve made a note of your feedback for our Product team for consideration, and hopefully, we will be able to add this functionality to the Board Projects. I hope this helps!

2 Likes

Hi @Vanessa_N I can’t seem to get this to work. I’m in the board view, I advance search for the parent-task/sub-task then try dragging it from the task view on the right to the search panel(?) on the left, and nothing happens.

This feels like quite a flaw that you can very easily assign tasks as subtasks but have no way to revert. Extremely destructive in-fact – having to delete and recreate the task (losing all activity/comments).

2 Likes

@Vanessa_N Maybe somethink like the above that will remove a subtask from it’s parent and leave it on the same board/list position as the parent?

Hi @rob, sorry for the delay and for any confusion caused. In fact, you would need to run an Advanced Search for the entire Project where the task and subtask are located, not just the task in question.

You can see an example here:

This will generate a list of tasks, including the parent task that you need. Click the parent task to show its task pane on the right side, where you will see the subtask. Then click and drag the subtask to the main pane to convert it into a parent task:

I completely understand your point, and I have since forwarded your feedback to our Product Team for consideration.

Again, I’m sorry for any inconvenience. I hope the workaround helps, but please let me know if you need anything else.

1 Like

@Vanessa_N What am I doing wrong here? It doesn’t seem to work

2 Likes

Hi @rob, thanks for writing back. This is really strange. Can you please try this other workaround and let me know if it works? Instead of using the Advanced Search, please, Multi-home the parent-task in a List Project, go to the List Project and repeat the same steps (click the parent task to show the subtask > drag the subtask to the main pane). If this doesn’t work, please let me know and I will further assist you.

I really appreciate your patience, Rob! I do hope we can add a feature to simplify this process in Boards Projects soon! Looking forward to your reply.

If we are unable to reverse Subtasks, we should have a warning pop up whenever we try to make a task as a subtask.

1 Like

I found a fix for this just in case anyone comes here looking for answers. I selected the subtask, then went into the menu and clicked “Duplicate Task”. I checked all of the boxes except “Parent Task”. This restored my task. Cheers!

4 Likes

Is this still an issue in June 2020? I cannot believe there’s no way to undo this mistake and I cannot afford to scrap the task with so much history on it.

1 Like

This should be a top priority to implement this feature asap.

It is possible to remove a subtask. Here’s how:

• Go to the project where the parent task is located
  • Select the option to view the project in list view
  • Find the parent task in the list and click on it so the sidebar opens
  • Find the subtask you would like to remove
  • Drag the subtask from the parent task to the project list

1 Like

This helped me figure out a similar situation. Thanks!

This is not working for me: I dragged the subtask out of a task to get it to appear as a task, but it is ALSO appearing as a subtask. I’ve tried numerous times and ways, but no dice. Extremely frustrating.

See “Questions- Ballot tracking/curing” which appears as both a task in the Section “Questions” AND as a subtask in the Task “Questions- Product (General).”

The issue here was that the original project was private. You cannot permanently remove a task from a private project.

That worked!! Thank you!
It wasn’t working for me to drag the subtask when in list view to the project list (I think because of what Lauren_Briskin1 mentioned here about private projects).

It’s not ideal, but it’s the best workaround I’ve seen so far, thank you!

This topic was automatically closed after 3 days. New replies are no longer allowed.