Can't remove template tasks :(

Hi everyone,

I’ve started using template tasks yesterday and realised that I have no idea how to delete them. I created a task and then everytime I wanted to change it, I clicked “reopen”, changed it and then made it into a template again. Now I’ve realised I’ve got lots of templates as it wasn’t the old ones that changed, it created new ones I made changes. Asana says I can’t create any more templates but how to I remove the old ones? I thought that removing the relevant tasks which I used to create them in the first place might help, but only two of these tasks are mentioned in my project. So basically there isn’t anywhere obvious where I can delete some of these templates.
Please attached the screenshot and thanks in advance for any pointers!

Cheers,
Sofia

1 Like

Hi @Sofia,

When you open a task template to edit it, there is a “Delete template” button in the lower left corner:

2 Likes

hey Phil, thanks, can I ask how you got to this screen? I can seem to get here.

See if this screen recording helps: Loom | Free Screen & Video Recording Software | Loom

15 Likes

Wow got it, thanks so much Phil, appreciated!! Have a lovely weekend.

3 Likes

It took me awhile to find this. I went to Workflow in the top menu, there is a list of templates. Select the template, then delete template.

9 Likes

Thanks for this. I couldn’t find how to edit or delete Task Templates either. Started to think it wasn’t possible.

Going to “Workflow” is what we need :white_check_mark:

3 Likes

I am having trouble with blank (unassigned project) tasks cropping up in TASKS. We use custom templates and I double checked, we have no lingering task templates in there that I can see. I am obviously missing something! Ideas?

Hello @Debbie_Nafzger,
what is the task creation date?
I am thinking that one reason could be that those tasks are there already for a bit longer (when still the v1 project templates were in use)
Another option could be those being recurring tasks?

I recommend copying the task name and pasting it into advanced search to see if other tasks with this name come up to get some more insight.

Maybe also somebody else created some tasks and assigned them to you?

Wow, the ability to edit a task template needs to be more intuitive, I literally had to Google search it, found this thread, and then still had to view Phil’s video. Why not just add an “edit” option within the Add New > Task Templates dropdown?

Thank you thank you for this! So simple… but I was totally struggling to find it as well!

Thank you! This was very helpful. :slightly_smiling_face:

Genius, thank you

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.