Cannot remove fields from Task Layout

Briefly describe (1-2 sentences) the Bug you’re experiencing: I created a new project a couple weeks ago and then imported data into it. I created the project from an Asana template. The issue that I’m having is that there are fields on the project that I do not need and I am not able to delete them. I see in Help that I can delete them by accessing the “Fields” button, but I do not have that button available to me.

Browser version: Google Chrome - Version 76.0.3809.100 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Upload screenshots below:

Welcome to the Forum @mercedes1 :wave: and thank you for reaching out!

I’m sorry to hear that you are running into this issue. Let me see if we can solve this together.

You can remove the Custom Fields form the Project by following these steps.

Please note that removing a Custom Field from the Project does not delete the field’s value from the Project’s tasks:

• If your field is populated, the Custom Field and its value will still appear in the right pane of your task’s details.
  • If your field is empty, the custom field will also disappear from the right pane of your task’s details.

If you want to remove it from your task, you will need to manually do it by hovering over the Custom Field and click on the Delete Button (Please see Screenshot attached).

I hope this helps! Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with!

PS: Since this is not a Bug, I’m moving this thread to the #tipsandtricks category.

@Natalia, I don’t see this feature in my Orgs/Workspaces, even Business, or in the Guide. Is this being rolled out?

Thanks,

Larry

Hi Natalie,

Thank you for such a quick response :slight_smile:

I don’t think this solves my problem however, I do not have the “Fields” button, so I can’t follow the steps that you outlined.

Is there another way to make the change?

Thanks,

Mercedes

Hi @mercedes1 :wave:

The reason why you don’t have the “Fields” button might be due to Permission. Organization Guests are unable to create/edit/delete Custom Fields (you can learn more about it [here.])(https://asana.com/guide/help/premium/custom-fields#gl-field-permissions)
Can you confirm if this is your case?

@lpb This should be available once you remove the Custom Fields from your Project but let me dig into this; I’ll get back to you asap!

1 Like

@Natalia, Ah, that was it–I see now, thanks! (Still couldn’t find it in the Guide though, I think.)

Ah ok, thanks. I’ll work with my company to fix the Permission issue.