Can the User edit the default task template in a Project?

I see that the Fields menu in Project (created from an Asana Premium template) provides a facility to add additional fields to a default Task template – from which each Task int he Project is created or instantiated.

How does the user edit default template freely?

How do I add data to a text field in the default Task template for this Project?

How can I save text into the description field of the default Task template for this Project?

Hi @dksmith,

There is no “default Task template” in Asana. The custom fields that exist on tasks in a project that was created from an Asana template will be those custom fields that were set up in that template, plus any modifications that may get made to the project definition via the project’s Fields menu after it’s been created from that project template.

Following from the above, this is not possible since there’s no default task template. The qualification I’d make is that you can accomplish this via an If-Then Rule in my Flowsana integration.

Again not possible since there’s no task template.

2 Likes

Hi @dksmith :wave:

I’m afraid we might have misunderstood your questions. As @Phil_Seeman explained, there are no Task Templates. Once you create a new Project from an Asana Template, you can add, modify and delete information as in a regular Project.

Can you please give us more details or examples? Sharing a screenshot would be super helpful too.

Looking forward to your reply! Have a nice day! :santa:

1 Like

Forgive me for using a term that does not exist in Asana.

I will rephrase.

When a new task is created in any project, from where does that task get derived?

I see when I create a custom field in a Project, clicking on a new task in the sam project will display a Task with the custom field. This data must be save somewhere. What is the entity called where this is saved? If not called the project’s default template, then what might the Asana community call this?

If we could establish vocabulary then I will ask my question as a followup.

Thank you.

There isn’t any entity of type “task” saved anywhere, from which new tasks in a project are derived. There’s a list of custom-field entities attached to the project. When you create a new task in the project, Asana says “OK, let me display and make available on that new task all of the custom fields in that list for this project.”

Unfortunately that list of custom-field entities attached to the project doesn’t contain any slots for the values of those custom fields, it’s just the definitions of the custom fields. So there’s no way for you to set a default value for a custom field that will show up in that field for new tasks.

(That last statement is not entirely true, as there are actually two ways to accomplish in effect a default value: (1) if you have a Business-level Asana subscription and it’s a dropdown-list custom field, you can use an Asana Rule to set a default value, or (2) you can use a Flowsana Rule to set a default value, and that can be done with only a Premium-level Asana subscription and with any custom field type, including text and number.)

Thank you for helping me (nearly) terminate my quest for a way to customize the content (data) of a new Task.

I cannot imagine how Asana users have gotten by this long without the ability to customize the data in a new Task document in a project.

For example, is there no way to add a few lines of text to the description which would serve as guidance for the User how created the task… so that the User could be reminded what information is important and critical. You know, MESSAGING. How to provide a constant message, such as directions or guidance, in a new Task document?

Thank you.

1 Like

Sorry to be the Terminator of your quest!

Here’s an existing request for default values on custom fields; I’d definitely recommend you upvote this one:

I looked for an existing request for the ability to have a default value for the task Description field and couldn’t find one, so you might want to create a post for this in the Product Feedback area.

I can certainly understand your desire here, and I’d think that other users would also find this capability valuable.