Can I prevent fields from duplicating when I move or add projects?

Is there a way to use a field across projects? I have an “Estimated Hours” field in several projects, but when I put a task into more than one project, or I move projects, that field duplicates the same number of projects it has been in.

Any tips?

Thanks!

There are two types of custom fields: project-specific fields and organization-wide custom fields which live in your “custom fields library”.

It sounds like your custom fields are all project-specific fields. What you want to is create them in your custom fields library. Then you can easily use them in multiple projects.

Read the help docs here for more info on this:

3 Likes

Hi, I’m not sure this solves the problem – as I’m experiencing the same. I’m using the same, organization-wide custom fields in multiple projects. When you add a task that utilizes these fields to a project that has the same custom fields, it duplicates these.

The question is whether there’s a way to merge or hide the same fields, as opposed to duplicating them.

Thanks!

Don’t do that!

But seriously, you don’t want to have a global (library) custom field that’s the same name as a local (project-specific) custom field. Doing that is a recipe for confusion because they are completely separate and unrelated fields but they look the same.