Calculate custom field value

Which confuses me because custom fields (of type number) should be exactly what you need.

2 Likes

I’m surprised that with so many other project management options currently offering custom formula fields and calculations that Asana wouldn’t have already implemented this already. That’s honestly just disappointing, especially when trying to come over from another software where I was used to having it. They have so many other good features, but this is a big miss for me personally.

3 Likes

We need this

2 Likes

Yes! Please add the ability to add fields. For example, perhaps you want an estimate on Design Time, Development Time, and Project Management Time, and then a total for that all. To avoid calculation errors, it would be best if you could add a calculated field that would total that.

6 Likes

Come on Asana, look at how long ago this has been requested and still being asked for. Listen to your customers or get out of the market!

6 Likes

Add me to the long list of people who need to be able to calculate custom fields in Asana Forms.

7 Likes

This is a serious issue for us….we’re having to manually use a calculator to do effort/impact ratios for our roadmaps.
Monday offers this feature: https://support.monday.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001235445-The-Formula-Column

Really don’t want to move away from asana but this is becoming a necessity for us.

4 Likes

The complete and utter lack of something as basic as a formula field is just ridiculous. Honestly, it’s probably one of the most basic features/functions yet after YEARS of people asking for this it still has not been implemented. The amount of field types available on Monday.com is astonishing compared to the bare bones joke that is Asana. Honestly, I have always used Monday.com but moved to Asana simply because of the Apple Siri inetgration, but the complete and total lack of basic functionality is forcing me back to Monday. Well not really forcing me - it’s completely and totally worth the extra money and doing without the Siri integration. The developers of Asana need a serious wake up call as their product is WAY below acceptable.

7 Likes

I agree, but I don’t blame developers. Product Managers take full responsibility on what need to be built and when.

Dear Asana Team,
Don’t they see the number of views and comments on these basic features demand?

Agree wholeheartedly. Budget management and statistic tracking is project management 101. We are trying to view budgets in a portfolio, but are having to settle for multihoming tasks into a master budget project. This takes so much time and is ripe for human error. With many events happening at once, budget management is key, and EVERYONE would greatly benefit from an Asana upgrade that includes rolling up custom fields into a portfolio. Or better yet, having Budget, Actual Spend, and an automatically calculated Budget Remaining field as basic fields in every Asana project.

4 Likes

Joining the party and sitting down here waiting for this basic feature to be released.

i don’t want to move on to another tool (as mentioned here above) just for this basic feature.

If it’s too complex AT LEAST implement as an action: if a value changes then change the value to “forumla”

2 Likes

Been a project manager for over 30 years…and having recently adopted Asana instead of using MSProj, I can’t believe it doesn’t have a simple calculated column capability. One of the project templates offered by Asana is the Cost/Benefit Analysis project…in which you enter all the usual costs and monetized benefits. However, the ONLY calculation offered by Asana is a column total (average, count, sum, etc). This truly is totally useless. Not having a calculated column is such a basic project management tool requirement I simply can’t believe this feature was missing when I assessed Asana. Very disappointed in myself but now I have an ever growing list of users, costing way more than MSProj and I can’t do a simple calculation. I literally had to have the calculator running while I tediously calculated cpi increases year on year for a CBA…forget about NPV or discount cashflow!!!

This also relates to the supposed Risk Management template on offer wherein you can enter all your risks and using a custom field, assign consequence and likelihood ratings…simple numeric values. But to actually calculate the risk rating, instead of performing a simple calculation across consequence and likelihood, you have to select a value totally disconnected from any changes to consequence and/or likelihood…

Come on Asana. I see here that this basic request has been outstanding for a very long time!!! It’s time someone in authority bit the bullet and got this simple feature out there!!!

4 Likes

I hope everyone is voting here:
Computed Fields on Tasks - Community Forum English / Product Feedback - Asana Community Forum
:wink:

thank you for sharing. voted there.

1 Like

Would definitely make my life easier. We’ve been building a way to pull all the data into Retool and calculate data to address this very need for ourselves internally.

As a reminder, if people want to avoid having to go into another tool, I have a service doing this in Asana. We use it heavily ourselves + with our clients, works great.

@Bastien_Siebman - Using your service is what most people should probably do.

We thought about using it ourselves one point but we wanted to:

• Integrate data from other tools that Asana doesn’t currently support so we could centralize our work in one place
  • Access and write data across multiple Asana workspaces from one view
  • Easily adjust how prioritization gets calculated as areas of focus wax and wane in importance throughout the year (and vary for individuals)
  • Control how we see the data (e.g. nested sorting and filtering — which thankfully Asana is rolling out)
  • Treat subtasks as a first class citizen

At that point, it seemed easier to just build it internally. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

We need this feature ASAP. I’m really surprised it still doesn’t exist. It is essential for our new prioritization framework and should be relatively basic to implement. I love Asana but this is a huge miss to not have as part of the product.

Am I missing something? You have a service that calculates a number value using other fields? If so, please share. Thanks

Hi,
Yes you understood correctly. The next step is to share with me (bastien@ido-clarity.com) your needs, and I can create a clear proposal!