Bug: Dragging a task from "My Tasks" to a project unassigns the task from me

Briefly describe (1-2 sentences) the Bug you’re experiencing: When I drag and drop a task from “My Tasks” to any project the task gets unassigned from me and disappears from “My Tasks”.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Create a new task within “My Tasks”
  2. Create a new project
  3. Drag and drop the task onto a project on the left hand side nav bar
  4. Notice that the task disappears from “My Tasks”–when you check the task in the project pane, it no longer has me assigned to it

Browser version: Chrome Version 91.0.4472.106

Upload screenshots below:

Yes, I recreate this behavior. Seems buggy to me.

Furthermore, it is possible to then delete the new project from the task, and then the task enters the (usually impossible to achieve) limbo state of not having an assignee or a project, so it will likely escape any periodic review process unless it is searched for explicitly.

NOTE: The task history says I “unassigned” this task from “you” (i.e. me). But in fact all I did was move the task from My Tasks to an existing project. Asana unassigned me and then covered its tracks by making the audit trail show that I had done it. :frowning:

1 Like

Hi @L112, @Stephanie_Oberg thanks for flagging this! Would it be possible for you to provide me with a screen recording of this process so that I can look into this further for you? :slight_smile:

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Hi @Rebecca_McGrath Unlikely I will have time to do a video screen capture - sorry. I do think recreating the issue will be easy for any user just based on info above.

Yes, I see this as well and it is easy to reproduce - @Rebecca_McGrath, just choose a task in your My Tasks, drag it onto another project in the nav panel, then go look at it in that project - you should see that it’s no longer assigned.

3 Likes

I doubt Asana considers this a bug; their rationale is that you’re moving it from My Tasks (I. e., your intent is to unassign yourself) to the other project. I’m not agreeing–I don’t like this kind of “helping” behavior on Asana’s part–just explaining.

There’s another example of the same unassigning behavior: Make a task assigned to you a subtask of another task and Asana removes your assignment; I don’t like that behavior either! But I suspect they’ll want to move this request out of the bugs category.

Thanks,

Larry

Hi folks :wave:t2: I believe this is intended behaviour as @lpb mentioned. As you are moving a task out of your My Tasks, you are essentially removing it from your responsible tasks list and so, unassigning from yourself.

I’d suggest creating a #productfeedback post instead to request that this behaviour be updated/removed.

I hope this helps!

2 Likes

Regarding the undesirable and similar behavior of unassigning just when a task is made a subtask of another, Asana actually promised to fix that but hasn’t yet. See this post and thread:

Thanks,

Larry

2 Likes

So @L112, given this, if one wants to put a task into another project but keep it assigned to oneself, the way to do that is to add the other project to the task (known as “multi-homing it” in Asana terminology).

2 Likes

Thanks very much all for the help, and confirming that you can replicate the behavior.

Honestly that’s a very weird default behavior but mentioned, I guess the only workaround is adding the project to the task rather than adding the task to the project.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 16 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.