Bringing an intake form with an attachment into a project template

Hello Asana Community.

My team recently joined Asana and we are preparing to start using it to receive requests from the rest of the organization in order to project manage our departmental workload. We want to use both a project template as a starting point for new projects and an intake form we developed within Asana. What is the best way to bring the information from the intake form - including any attached documents - into our project template to create a new project? Thank you.

Jean-Pierre

So you want each new request from a form to create a project based on a template?

Thanks for replying, Bastien. Yes, that would be correct. We have a project that we named “incoming projects” and we have an intake form in that project under the “forms” tab. We share that intake form link with individuals that need our services. . All new requests land in there and the department head is using that to monitor the amount of work coming in, are they in progress, delayed, completed, etc. She is using the board view for that. We have a template that has a number of tasks that are universal to all of our projects. So the question would be what is the best way to move a new request that comes into our “incoming projects” into our template to create a new project?

There is still something that does not make sense.
“move a new request into our template to create a new project” maybe you are just not using the correct word, I just want to be sure. You don’t want to move anything INSIDE a template, correct?

Good morning Bastien. I was able to solve it. Thanks for your assistance.

How? :sweat_smile: please help others that will come here later

1 Like

Hello Bastien,

Sure, here’s the process we are developing:

• We share the link to the Asana form we developed with any department that needs our services.

• They fill out the intake form and it comes into our “incoming projects” (as a task) that we view in the board setting and used as a “command center” for all the projects we are working on.

• Now we want to create a new project for this new intake form info so we create it (using the plus sign in the upper-right corner) using the project template we created that has numerous sections and tasks that are universal to our working process and all of our projects.

• We go back to “incoming projects” and duplicate the intake form info that we received from the client. Remember, it came in as a task to "incoming projects"so that is easy to do.

• We place this duplicated task in the new project we created using our template and remove it from “incoming projects”. This is done in the same place so it’s easy to do both.

• Since the first section of all our project is “Read intake form” and is empty, this task that we duplicated (intake form info) will automatically land in there.

• Now we have the intake form information (and any attachments that came with it) in a new project that was created from our template which contains numerous sections and tasks common to all our work.

The process is quite fast and seems to be working for us presently. As we get more familiar with Asana, I am sure we will tweak it and modify it.

Hi @Jean-Pierre_LeGuillo

Thanks for sharing how you achieved this.

One change you could do is a task can belong in multiple projects at the same time. Search the guide for Multi Homing or use Tab+P on your task.

You could just add the Task to the newly created project rather than duplicating it.

Regards

Jason

1 Like

Agree with Jason, no need to duplicate, especially since you delete the source afterwards. Just change the task project. I thought you wanted things to be automated, but looks like your workflow works pretty good!

1 Like

Hi @Jean-Pierre_LeGuillo,

In case you’re looking for some further automation, I just thought I would mention that with an If-Then rule in my Flowsana integration, you could have this new project automatically created for you (from that project template) every time a new intake form is submitted into the “incoming projects” board.

2 Likes

Thank you both for the suggestions! @Phil_Seeman I will certainly check out Flowsana; it sounds very useful.