Automatically Adding Task Collaborators via Asana Forms

Hi there! I just upgraded to an Asana Business account and am currently setting up a form for a new Asana project folder. Ultimately we want this folder to function as a home for all of the marketing requests our colleagues make.

There’s a required field in Asana Forms for a requestee’s email address, however I was wondering if it’s possible to automatically incorporate those email addresses into the task that is created after they press submit. If this isn’t possible, could it be done using Automation? We’re trying to eliminate that additional step of having to add every person requesting a project to the task so they can follow and/or check its status (we have custom fields set up that mark requests as “In Progress,” “On Hold,” etc.)

Thanks!
Jackie

13 Likes

Hi @Jackie_Cimino :wave:t3:Welcome to the Forum and thanks for sharing this feedback, that’s a great idea!

Currently with Forms, you can choose a default assignee for tasks generated from your form, but that doesn’t extend to collaborator unfortunately! With Rules you can choose a default assignee for each new task generated by your form, but as it stands, it is not possible to automatically pick the requester to be a default collaborator.

Rules and Forms are still pretty new but we’re already looking into how we can improve and develop them so I’ve made a task for our product team to look into this option and I’ll make sure to keep you posted via this thread when I hear more about our plans!

8 Likes

@Marie, Our organization is also in same kind of situation. Right now our tasks are created through API and we are planning to use Asana forms in the future. Through API we can add the requestee’s as collaborator of the task. In this way the requestee’s can track task or create a sub-task or add more collaborators if need be.

It will be really nice feature to have that the requestee’s are added into the task automatically.

5 Likes

As far as understood (which may be waay wrong), Asana is using their own Api for rules, so my feeling is that down the line you will be able to do most things with Rules that you can now do with the Api.

However there are some limitation since rules are automatic, that some closed loop repetitions may be created, so maybe some things will be limited.

No, that’s actually not correct. The Asana API is strictly for use by external applications. The Asana product itself does not use the API for any aspects of its own internal processing.

Yes you are quite right, it was stated by their sales to me “we are making Rules, basically it will be like using the API”. Sorry I did not convey this correctly.

Ivan

Breaking this thread back open because I have a question. You mentioned that “Through API we can add the requestees as collaborator of the task.” Can you post example code for how you’re accomplishing this?

Back in January I was able to add Collaborators to tasks via their email through JotForm form submissions, but this functionality is no longer working. To be clear, these are emails of people who are not current workspace members, they would be brand-new to Asana. In January when I tested this, they were sent an Asana email prompting them to create an account when they were added as a Collaborator. This is no longer working, so I’m trying to see if going directly through the API would be a good workaround.

1 Like

So, circling back on this one, is it still not possible to add the form submitter as a collaborator in the task, without coding / using an API? It’s been almost a year since the original request. Any update, Asana?

13 Likes

Hi @Marie,

Yes, would love to get this feature added as well! It would save our team a lot of time from manually adding collaborators. Please keep us posted if this is currently being developed and if there’s an ETA.

Thanks!

9 Likes

Just to correct myself here; I’ve since learned that Asana does use the API to some degree for its mobile apps.

Also would love this feature!

4 Likes

I’d also love to see this. Currently our team submits requests to other teams using forms, but we ideally need them to be able to stay updates on the task’s progress. I know the followers can be added manually but people forget.

7 Likes

Desperately need this.

7 Likes

This is also something our team needs

4 Likes

Hi all,

FYI Flowsana now allows you to have a form’s submitter be automatically added as a Collaborator on the resulting task:

1 Like

Just Adding to the +1s here. Our team would love this feature as well.

This is a feature that would save my company three digit numbers over the cause of just a couple of mounths. See this as another +1 to implement this! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

This is a feature that would be extremely useful and valuable to us too.

+1, same situation here. We use a form for bug reports on different internal software applications. Currently we have to add the reporter manually as collaborator every time so that he can follow the process.

2 Likes

This feature would be immensely helpful in ensuring timely response to form submissions. While I am the default assignee for certain tasks, I would like to add at least one of my team members as a default collaborator in case I’m not available.