Auto-logout more rigorous

I firmly believe that there should be an option, controlled by the user, maybe outlined with 100 warnings and red-stripes and a ton of pop-up boxes that warn the user, that if he or she does so, he or she has been warned that choosing said option can cause harm to his or her work security, and the Asana team is henceforth not to be blamed for it (if this fool-proofing stuff can’t be avoided), that completely disables, utterly and permanently to the maximum extent technically possible, any need to re-authentificate ever again, unless said user has logged out manually of his or hers own volition. Social media doesn’t want me to relogin even though it contains a lot more sensitive data about me, so why Asana should? If a company really cares for security so much, then, perhaps, they shouldn’t be using an online tool for tracking their work in the first place.

– the above rant, is of course, a personal belief only and is not meant to offend anyone.

4 Likes

It’s even worse when you work on several different computers. I have 3 work computers i use, and an additional laptop. It makes me feel like I am never actually logged in, constantly logging into all of these computers.

please make the time between re-logins adjustable.

2 Likes

I agree with everyone here. This disruption is not necessary. I use Asana from home and work daily and occasionally from 2 other computers (at least weekly). I can understand the occasionals needed to verify me, but this constant shell game of refresh, reload, login, reload, login, etc. is unnecessary - and should clearly be our choice, our control, our settings.

ASANA TEAM: Please do something about this?!

2 Likes

This automatically-logging-you-out-with-no-warning business is really annoying. I’ve recreated countless tasks because of this. I understand if they won’t allow users to change that setting, but what about a warning for when it will occur? Even a countdown would be better than abruptly redirecting to the login.

2 Likes

Hi Marie!
Why is Asana the only online platform that does this?
It’s particularly annoying when you pin your tabs, because it opens the login page on another tab.
I hope you solve this issue soon.
Thanks,
Erick

1 Like

My goodness how this is frustrating. How is this ever a thing? The only other app which does this is Microsoft teams and I hold deep hatred towards that thing already. Two years have been people asking for this “awesome” feature to be removed, how can you not comprehend that? Or at least respond to the forum post. Auto-logout more rigorous

The worst part is that this “security” feature is utterly useless because I login using a Google account so the biggest hoop an intruder has to get over is two clicks through Google authentication, so there is zero security added if the user already doesn’t care about it. This “security” excuse is so unbelievably irrelevant, what are you even trying to secure? People are sending important details either through secured messaging apps or insecure email anyway. Why would people hold any secrets on a work management platform?!

If anything the log out is prohibiting me from doing my work. I keep the tab open, and when there is a new message I get a notification. However, if I get logged out there is no notification about that. Then I spend usually four days without realizing I have been logged out, and my team is completely blocked for those four days because I never got any notification that they need help.

The whole UI is already confusing and complex enough for me to want to leave Asana as soon as I get the chance, but this is making me actively promote different management platforms.

Stop it! At the very least make it default, but I need to be able to opt out.

3 Likes

Thank you all for taking the time to share your feedback in the Forum, I’ll make sure to forward these to our product team. I don’t believe we’ve planned to make any modification to the log-out mechanism in the upcoming months, but I’ll be sure to keep you posted on this thread is I hear otherwise!

1 Like

I agree with this assessment as this impacts workflow. I don’t know that I’m logged out and then my Asana bot stops. Notifying me but I get emails. It’s terribly inefficient and creates a blocker which is the antithesis of the purpose of Asnana. Is there any progress on a resolution to this?

2 Likes

This issue was created in 2018. here we are 3 years later, asking for a “keep me logged in” check mark. My last post on this was feb of 20.

I get security in some places is critical, and by all means let them have people log in every time. i don’t need that. many don’t. This is very frustrating.

This is not new tech or a new concept.

2 Likes

hey marie, hows this going? have you seen any indication that forwarding a issue has much impact?

1 Like

Yeah, its a very annoying feature. In the middle of writing a comment, then poof, asked to log in. Very annoying feature and I now use Asana less due to this. I have reduced my client activity on it and moved to other apps that have less features, but are less annoying

1 Like

Agreed - by far my biggest complaint. This small blocker is enough for me to never use Asana on iPhone/iPad – removing a lot of the flexibility and ease of use I need!

We’re at the point of dropping Asana if this isnt fixed in the next few months.

2 Likes

This is incredebly frustrating and keeps happening to me

I am the PM for our Asana tool at my office and A LOT of staff are similarly expressing frustration. I understand that there are security measures that need to be met, but as a tool that someone is consistently using, having to log back in (without being prompted you’ve been logged out!) every 15 days seems excessive.

We use Slack for communication between staff, which involves just as privileged information security-wise and I have never been asked to log back in. The app opens upon turning on my computer and I’m automatically signed in.

If this IS completely necessary, can there at least be a way to login within the App itself? For me and my staff, we need to click sign in, which then opens up a window in browser where you need to click sign in again, and then AGAIN need to click launch Asana to be brought back to the Desktop app.

3 Likes

Came to the forums to say the same thing. I keep getting logged out, maybe every few days or so on both my computers. I don’t see any reason for this happening. Just keep me logged in for a month.
Very annoying that it randomly happens when you’re typing things.

Same here, no one else is doing it, find a solution to fix this. People will switch to something even worse just to stay logged in forever.

I have not been using Asana for so long, but this is by far my biggest problem with the tool. I tried using both the browser version and the desktop version, but it does not solve the problem.

I am very close to switching to something else. Does anybody have any recommendations? :slight_smile:

As an extra security measure I decided to activate Two-Factor Authentication in order to login to the desktop app, which requires my cellphone each time.
Every 5 days or so I’m logged out which is pretty annoying, especially when my phone just happens to be somewhere else :rage:

I the last 3 weeks I’ve started taking notes of the days Asana (desktop, Windows) loses the session and asks me to log back in: every friday. So, every 7 days you ask me log back in, and to be honest, it does not make sense, since I use the application daily.

Please, let me change this setting. If my email does not do that, why is Asana doing it?

If I vote here, am I voting for an Auto-logout to be more rigorous?
this topic should maybe be called ‘Auto-logout less rigorous’ so people know what they vote for…

1 Like