Auto generate tasks from a template

Good Morning All,

I’m trying to find a way to try to automate some recurring task ‘groups’ a little more involved than just recurring and wondered if anyone had some ideas.

In a nutshell, I have a number of clients that I perform the same tasks for each period (some are weekly, some monthly).

At the moment the task tends to be one main task with subtasks within it. I’m quite often adding new subtasks & at the moment update each client individually.

What would be great if I could achieve it, would be to have a ‘template’ task setup in a ‘Template project’ which I update and then each week or month, that task (and it’s subtasks) are copied across to each client’s project (I have one project per client that I list all tasks under).

Can anyone think of a way to do this, maybe using Zapier or another app like that? The triggers could either be in a spreadsheet listing the client and task ‘opening dates’ or on a calendar.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Zapier seems like a good idea indeed. There is a schedule trigger to trigger on a given date, not sure what other inputs are available. How many clients are we talking about?

1 Like

Hi Bastien,

Thanks for your reply. The problem is, it looks like the actions for Asana are only create or update tasks not duplicate / copy which is the bit I’m stuck on.

Just small number of clients at the moment around a dozen but all with weekly, monthly and yearly recurring tasks. It’s more future proofing as I’m planning on increasing clients in a high volume, low margin area which could ideally grow to 40 or 50 clients so want to automate as much as possible. The alternative for these would be a spreadsheet with tasks down the side, clients across the top and simple ticks but I want to try and keep all under one roof.

If you only have a few tasks, you can add them all to your zap manually. How many tasks?

Hmm the current ones are probably around 20 tasks. Ideally as a subtask under the main task but wouldn’t have to be… The only reason I have them as subtasks is so I can add the client as a collaborator to the main task and they get notified basically when I’ve completed their weekly work rather than an email per task I do.

1 Like

Did anyone have an update to this?

I tend to have projects that have 4 stages. Within each stage, we have 10-30 tasks. These stages/and tasks are pretty much the same for every project that we have. I’d like these tasks to be auto generated along with the same estimated time to complete each task.

So if I summarize what you would like is a template that would be “imported” on a regular basis, but not using recurring tasks?

Our company sells real estate, so there are 3 main stages in the process.

1. Proposal
  2. Marketing
  3. Contract

Each stage has 20-30 tasks within it. One stage may have tasks that are inter-related to each other. Ex: Prepare Marketing Email (2 days), then you will send the Marketing Email (on Day 3), then a follow up email (On day 10).

The tasks/timeline can shift if we spend 3 days to prep the email.

Each stage has roughly 20-30 steps, so I wanted to have them imported at once and I can manipulate the timing for each specific project.

You could have one template per stage, and there are ways to shift dates. Flowsana can shift dates, you can also shift them in the timeline.

But if you use 3 different templates, you won’t get the links between the tasks. So maybe use 1 single template, and then the first manual step would be to split the tasks into 3 different projects. That will keep the links between the tasks.