Auto-Assign Unique ID #'s to Tasks/Issues within Projects

On our old project platform, we had a mechanism to auto-assign unique ID #'s to all of our tasks and issues on our project sites. We relied on this when tracking our time or communicating between team members/clients, because by using the ID #, we always knew the specific item someone was referring to. We’d often have multiple items entered with similar titles/descriptions, but using the ID #'s helped eliminate any confusion.

With Asana, we have to rely on referring to task/issue titles when reporting our time or communicating in meetings with team members. If each item within a project had a unique ID # assigned to it, it’d just make some of this communication a bit quicker and clearer for our team. We also track a large number of items on some of our boards, and without the ability to filter the view by Person or Custom Fields, having an ID # to look for would be much quicker than reading through all the item descriptions/titles. I’ve thought about using a custom # field for ID #'s, but since we would have to manually enter each ID #, there would likely end up being duplicates.

Yes this would be a great feature, I currently assign a unique ID from another program so I dont get lost with hundreds of jobs per week

This is a critical missing feature for us too. Really hope something happens with this soon.

Hello!
We have different projects and when we create a new task we have to manually assign an unique identifier at the beginning of the line like "UD-20.268 Bug fix payment module by card’. We found that soemtimes we assign the same identifier to different tasks.
Even though we have a search box on the upper right corner to check if an specific task ID already exists (UD-20.268), it would be great if Asana can assign an unique identifier to each new task automatically.
Currently we have to manually search if an specific ID exists in order to increase it the autonumeric part.

Suggestion for the creation of the unique indentifier:
Could be just a plain integer autonumeric or much better follow a pattern (Since there might be different projects). Like:
.- Two letters (initial letters of the current project). For eample: UD
.- a hyphen
.- current year
.- a dot
.- integer autonumeric part.

Examples:
UD-19.001 (stands for firtst task in year 2019 for the project UD)
UD-19.002
UD-19.003
etc.

RE-20.001 (stands for firts task in year 2020 for the project RE)
RE-20.002
RE-20.003
etc.

Thanks a lot! :slight_smile:

Welcome to the Forum @Jiug and thank you for sharing your feedback with us!

There is an existing thread regarding this topic so I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with it to consolidate information. I hope It’s OK.

There is a third party solution that might help you in the meantime. Please, have a look at this thread to learn more about it: Task with unique identifier

I hope it helps! Have a great day!

1 Like