Auto-Assign Collaborators by Project Role

We are currently using the Project Role function when setting up new projects. Does Asana have the ability to (or plans to have the ability to) auto-assign collaborators by Project Role as well?

3 Likes

Welcome to the Asana Community Forum @Amber_Harmon!

Yes have a look here

This might be also interesting

2 Likes

Hi Andrea,

We are currently using the Project Roles when setting up projects/templates and assigning tasks to the project role, the question actually was - can you also use Project Roles to auto-assign collaborators by project role as well?

2 Likes

Hi @Amber_Harmon , it is not currently possible to assign project roles as collaborators to a task within a project template, but hopefully Asana will add this in the near future.

Note that you can assign project roles to subtasks, in case that helps.

I couldn’t find an existing thread in the Product Feedback category so I’m moving this thread there so you can vote on adding this feature (scroll to the top and click the purple button in the top left).

8 Likes

So I am wondering what the point is of the Project Roles. I have followed the instructions and added the roles to the project template. I can even see the people assigned to the project roles when I spit out a project from the template. However, I can’t see anywhere in the template editing to actually do anything with the roles. I would like to have a rule set up that according to certain triggers, the task gets assigned to the Project Manager role, etc. But there seems to be no place to actually utilize the roles in the rules for me. In this area, I would hope one of the variable assignees would be the role name. Then this would make it much easier to standardize on templates.

2 Likes

Agree! This is what I have been looking for as well. I still don’t understand the point of project roles. Where are they used in a project?