Assign multiple assignees on one task

Hi everyone,
Same problem with our team, I do think that the “team” solution is the best.
I would love to assign some tasks to two people but a team could do the thing.

Imagine: you can create virtual users that are teams and let just use this team as a person in the tasks.
It is easier I think to ASANA dev to make this, juste make people see their tasks and the ones of their team(s) int their “My task” section and just let us use this team person as responsibkle to a task.

I do not understand why people come to say “don’t do that” ! I do understand that you should not respond to every single demand but this one is asked for years by a lot of people… please consider it.

ANd to those who propose to find another software : just no.
We love ASANA and that’s why we want it to evolve with us.

Management is changing. Evolve with it.

2 Likes

I agree with needing to assign multiple people to a “task”.

Most people I know using ASANA use the Task feature in a different way than I think ASANA ever intended for it to be used. We use task cards as a “sub project” and with that each a “task list” is more of a mini-project with multiple tasks under it needing to be completed. The majority of those tasks are multi-part tasks that require two or more people to be assigned.

If you could create the option, almost like a “tag”, under each check list item to add more than just a single “assignee” that would be incredible!!

I see the Asana’s philosophy of 1 assignee per task and I totally agree. On the other hand, as previous noted by the other comments, it is useful to track tasks in which you are involved but not directly responsible.

Having a list of secondary assignees would be wonderful. Everyone should see the task in My Tasks, eventually written in a different color or flagged somehow. In this way the primary assignee keeps the responsibility.

I’ve been using tags to do something similar in the last weeks (a tag for every team member, and every task is tagged with the names of the primary and secondary assignees. Opening the tag helps you to see every task in which you are involved), but with a bigger team/organization it is probably impossible.

3 Likes

This is exactly how to make everyone happy, i guess.

1 Like

Multiple Assignees OR Team assigned feature would be extremely helpful, especially for template tasks.

For example, when we get a delivery in, certain things have to be done in specific systems. I have a template with about 10 subtasks that is copied and renamed with the PO number, but unfortunately I cannot assign any of the warehouse duties to anyone because I do not know who will be on shift at the time the task will be ready to be completed. It would be helpful at LEAST to have the feature to assign tasks to a specific team, so on-shift members can see their team task list and then distribute tasks at the beginning of the day as necessary.

I fully understand Asana’s philosophy in ownership of tasks, and I 100% agree. The only solution I can offer is a possible If/Then type of selection process.

Lets say there are three Marketing Employees. An email for a sale needs to go out, but Marketing Employees 1 & 2 are working on another huge project and don’t have time to complete it. Marketing Employee 3 is only editing photos and can rearrange their schedule a bit. The task could have a feature where you create the task, and assign it to “one of three people”. They all get a notification, and if they can’t complete the task by the designated due date, they indicate that in some way with a reason. After the first two deny it, maybe it automatically gets assigned to the third. If 1 & 2 cant complete it, then the task is assigned to 3.
Obviously the downfall would be if all three could not complete it, but that would happen in the regular workplace anyway, so maybe it is better to have it visible and trackable. Possibly with a decision deadline as well.

3 Likes

For all the folks saying you should only be allowed to assign a single person to a task–I have a question for you. If Asana implemented the ability to allow more than one assignee to a task, would your ability to assign a single person to a task still be possible? Of course it would. So why do you feel the need to constrain everyone else?

I strongly echo the sentiment of allowing teams to make the decision on single vs multiple assignment. Philosophy is great, but the fact of the matter is that there are folks that desire the ability execute independent of the philosophy. Atlassian built in the JIRA constraint that there could only be 3 nesting levels. Plugins/addons overrode that, and guess what? In every company I’ve been in, almost every team has overridden that limitation.

Asana, please don’t let philosophy overrule the principle of customer obsession. MANY of us want and need this feature. Please do consider our request.

5 Likes

I have a new business with my husband. We both need to see what is going on as we have many tasks we work on together. Please bring in this feature. I just cancelled my Mavenlink account today after starting my Asana accunt with you yesterday. Really impressed so far but baffled by this design flaw. BTW my husband is a business analyst and he cannot believe this poor oversight.

3 Likes

For knowing what is going on with other people’s tasks, why not use the Following and Inbox functionality? We have 100 or more Asana users and many of us need to stay aware of other tasks, but adding each other as Collaborators works much better than if we would assign 1 task to multiple people.

Hi,

I would find it very useful to be able to assign multiple team members to a single task, instead of duplicating it for each person which takes extra time. Please make this happen!!

Regards,
Lindsey

3 Likes

I’d love to have this implemented as well, duplicating task currently looks weird, and currently there is no way to assign multiple assignee in ios or android app yet.

This feature request has to do with the “Board” view in an Asana project.

I think it would be a game-changer for our Scrum workflow if you could assign a task to multiple individuals, and when one of those assigned individuals drags the task to a new list (from To Do to Doing to Done), the card/task now appears in every list for which an assigned user still has the task, but is differentiated in some way (grayed out, dashed line, different color, etc.). You could see real-time who had accomplished the task and who had not started it yet. This would force people to be accountable, because it would highlight them as the limiting factor/choke point when they are the only one who hadn’t completed a task.

For instance, if 1/5 assigned individuals had the task in ‘To Do’, 3/5 had it in ‘Doing’, and 1/5 had it in ‘Done’, the card would appear in all 3, visually differentiated from other tasks, and the assigned users for each condition would be visible beneath their particular task.

Thoughts?

We definitely need the ability to assign a task to more than one person.
Adding that feature would not “hurt” those of you who don’t need the feature, just don’t use it. But the ideal would be to add multiple ppl and allow each one to check themselves complete, while leaving the others up if not complete. Right now closest is to assign one person and sub assign others. (pain in butt). We are a group oriented design and marketing firm so always multiple ppl to complete a task. (com on guys, Basecamp has this feature, lol. seriously, basecamp…)

2 Likes

Just want to add my voice to the chorus of those asking for the ability to add multiple people to a task. I was very unpleasantly surprised to discover that this cannot be done. It’s seriously affecting my ability to use Asana for my current project, in which multiple people are needed for virtually all of the tasks. Please add this feature. Unclear why it is not available yet. Thanks!

Just found out this isn’t a feature. I don’t know why this is a foreign concept to Asana and it’s competitors (who I’ve tried as well).

1 Like

Ahhhhhh, someone who understands the wisdom in not doing just anything a customer/client wants. I was starting to think I was the only one. And I appreciate someone else chiming in with this view because I think allowing this would fundamentally change Asana and hurt it’s effectiveness overall.

Would really like this feature as well! It’s the one part of Asana that I haven’t been 100% thrilled with. We actually just looked into Freedcamp for the sole reason that they offer this feature. It’s just too easy for tasks to get buried when you’re working on multiple projects and sharing tasks.

I think this feature request is a must to be approved. I have just started with Asana and it was the first stumbling block as we have a lot of tasks which we need to assign to different people. I was shocked not to find this feature. As far as philosophy is concerned it is good but not for all. It should be left with users whether they want to assign a task to various people or one person. Please do it on on priority.

1 Like

While I understand the rationale of 1 person-1 task, I need the ability to assign multiple users or a team. Currently, the lack of such an ability is preventing me from purchasing Asana.

Would it be possible to leverage Custom Fields for this purpose?

On my Project list I created a Custom Field called Deparment that you select the Team (say Marketing, Merchants, etc) to assign it to (instead of using assign) and due date.

Any Person in that Department could have a task to do an Advance Search to see new tasks that are issued to that Department (Search, Custom Fields) and assign themselves to it if they want or someone else in their department. You can save an advanced search so its painless

I think this is a good workaround.

Let me know

2 Likes

Setting up my Asana here, and ran into this issue …

If you think about it, if a task is being worked on by two people, do they both genuinely do each part of the task

I have Google docs for my clients to:

• review
  • add comments to

I need the input of multiple individuals on these documents. They all need the opportunity to give their .02 cents, which I later go over with them at the next meeting as points of discussion.

This is only one example. Assuming that every organization everywhere will never have things to get done that more than one person needs to have equal input on is a pretty narrow definition of ‘task’. imo.