Assign multiple assignees on one task

Our team could really use the ability to assign more than one person to a task. We run a small business and often have tasks that more than one person needs to be be updated on, or something that falls into the “whichever one of you has time to do this” category. This would helps us SO MUCH!

2 Likes

Adding multiple assignees to a task is ESSENTIAL to me and my team! Very disappointing that Asana has deliberately chosen to leave this feature out. Every team uses Asana differently, give us the option to decide how our workflows function… Will be looking for a different PMS because of this

The more I am trying to understand how I can make a workaround about this the more issues I find. I have created a task and since I cannot assign multiple assignees to a task I have decided to create subtasks to get to the same result. The problem is that people assigned to the subtasks are not displaying all info of the parent task. And if you add the project to the subtask it magically appears in the project list as a task. Why is that?

I’ve just started reviewing Asana for my organisation and all was going really well until I came across the inability to assign more than one person. We are an engineering company doing mostly Field Calls and a reasonable number of them require more than one engineer to attend. Using the duplicate/copy function is way too clunky and clumsy especially when only one of the team need to update the progress of the call out. The lack of multiple assignee is a deal breaker for us so you’ve lost this potential client before we start. BTW - 4 years and all these comments and you still think your world view is all that matters?

2 Likes

This is a must-have feature for projects that require collaboration.

2 Likes

Replying more generally, to mention that the changes pushed by Asana in the last 2 months or so seem to have resulted in more new people on the forum than ever before. And most of them are not loving it. I would recommend that Asana track new forum users, especially dissatisfied and/or confused ones, as a metric of customer satisfaction for their internal use. @Rebecca_McGrath @Marie

2 Likes

Asana’s Dev team needs to step up. Your app is in ancient times. How and why people use this app is beyond me. I’m using it because I have no choice.

1 Like

Coming from Monday.com this lack of feature makes me just go back.
Why not leave it up to the team admin if multiple assignees should be enabled???!!!

Super frustrated, what a pity…

2 Likes

I’d like to be able to assign a task to more than one person. This could incorporate the use of ‘teams’ in which a number of people are grouped into different teams or just assigned on an individual basis (this would be the better option for us).

Being able to assign a task to more than one person would be really useful for us rather than just having collaborators within the task.

Hi @Charlie_Worrall, welcome to the Asana Community Forum :wave:t2:

This is a popular request in the forum! As we do already have an existing thread for this request, I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with the existing one to consolidate feedback :slight_smile:

I’ll keep you updated in the main thread :rocket:

@Rebecca_McGrath what is the existing thread on this request? If you can please tag me in so I can see the status, that would be really helpful as we’re evaluating other alternatives.

How is this still not a feature? Leave it up to project managers to decide whether or not tasks should have multiple people assigned to it. There is no reason for Asana to be so stubborn about this. They should provide tools that allow pms to use their own philosophy, rather than assign their own philosophy for pms to use themselves.

Side note: If you’re designing a software and users are asking for a feature, and instead of creating the feature, you design a work around, you aren’t actually committed to that philosophy. Workarounds should not exist in a finished product. Either implement the feature entirely, or if you’re that committed to your philosophy, get rid of the work around. These cannot coexist.

7 Likes

Yeah. It’s absolutely ridiculous that this still isn’t a feature. Which is why we are really contemplating using something else. We have a lot of tasks that are a team task that multiple people work on together.

2 Likes

If it’s so popular then why hasn’t it been implemented? Thread started in Mar 2017. Seriously… It can’t be that hard of a feature to add.

3 Likes

Hi @Crista_James, as I mentioned, I merged your post with the existing one so this is now the correct thread to follow for updates :slight_smile:

I’m still bemused as to why we can’t multi-assign. Hurry up Asana, or we’ll look for alternatives again.

4 Likes

Doesn’t limiting assignees to one task defeat the whole “collaboration” aspect?

3 Likes

Agreed with everyone above that it is a needed feature to add more than one assignee – in my case I have a recurring task that if one person doesn’t have time to do the task then it can be picked up by me. It’s vital without adding extra hoops to jump through to add it manually to my own to do list.

I think this feature would be a great help as well. But, I do understand the reason for not having it, to have one direct person responsible in the completion of the task.

Your recommended workarounds are:

1. To add the other assignees as collaborators

2. Creating a subtask (which is tedious to have a task and subtask with similar nature, assigned to two different persons, creating miscommunication, one commenting in the main task, and another in subtask)

3. Assign copies (We are talking about several people working on one main task, not 2 persons working on two similar tasks, so this is not applicable, using this function will create the same miscommunication as option 2)

The thing is, if I’m added as a collaborator, I am not getting notifications that I am one of the collaborators, and I could not see anywhere the tasks that I am a collaborator of. I will only be notified someone make an update on the task. This task may slip our mind easily if it is not listed anywhere.

If you cant make multiple assignees on one task due to the reason stated in your blogpost in 2015, maybe you can allow a collaborator to add the task as their task… i.e. Head assign the job to A, as A is the person directly responsible. A added B as B is to work with A on the same task. B is a collaborator. B is allowed to convert that task in his ‘My task’ section, then B knows he’s assigned to collaborate with A, and it is listed in his task list. But, to the head, the person directly responsible is still A as his view on the task is A is the assignee, and B is the collaborator.

Then the whole team can work this out by asking each individual being collaborator for this task to add the task to their own ‘my task’ section so the collaborators wont miss the task they are supposed to work on together with the assignee.

3 Likes

This may be a deal breaker for our choosing to use asana in the long term. Really upset coming from trello that this isn’t an option.

1 Like