Assign multiple assignees on one task

Add me to the ever-growing list of users who would appreciate having the ability to assign multiple users to a task.

Seems like another simple thing that should have been implemented right away, but somehow keeps getting ignored because of “our philosophy” or “difficult to implement because of (insert short-sighted decision)”.

For Creative Teams I think there is a real use case for multiple people to be on the same task. Our last PM system was awesome as you could assign multiple people and give each person a different amount of time for the task. You could also say if everyone works independently on the task or in order.

We love Asana and are using the multiple copies of a task. For us the issue with this approach is that it makes the projects have SO many more tasks and it makes commenting really hard cause everyone is commenting on their task so the conversation isn’t threading…is there a workaround someone has for this?

2 Likes

The correct way to do this is to allow assignment to a group, but the “task” actually is pending acceptance by a single person, and the “manager” of that group has a “task” that is pending assignment, thus if it doesn’t get picked up by one person, they have a task listed as past due as well. This is how every support ticketing system works: a task comes in to the group, it is unassigned and waiting for assignment, and if nobody takes it and assigns it to themselves, the manager talks to the team and assigns it. This would be an automatic two-step task, with the parent task, a sub-task for “assign this to someone” that is assigned to multiple people and which resolves to complete once someone assigns the parent task to them self, and a sub-task for the actual task. This isn’t really feasible without a lot of extra work in Asana for every time this kind of group task comes in; this really should just be a button in Asana for “assign to group”, which means “assigned to everyone until someone takes it”. The missing feature is there’s no way to mark a copied task as complete for everyone once one person marks it as complete.

Wow, this is a long thread!

@Human-ISM_Sysadmins, Perhaps this approach, which I’ve used, may be of some help in your example of assignment of a task to one of a set of people:

Re task sharing, I resolve that by making each person working on the task assigned to a subtask, but only using the parent task for the comment thread, etc. The subtask 's appearance in your My Tasks gives one-click access to the parent task always.

I know these both are not solutions requested, but they’re potential workarounds for anyone who might be in search of something now just with available features.

Hope that helps,

Larry

I think everyone is upset because Asana hasn’t developed this feature yet, after all this time. From 2017 till now, I just migrate everything from Asana to Quire and I honestly don’t think I will come back to Asana since it’s just waste of time for me to stick to a platform that cannot fulfill the simple basic need of a project management software.

Was looking at joining the Asana bandwagon but after seeing these kinds of simple features are not implemented and seeing how much bad feedback and how they still have not added it yet. Our organisation will be looking elsewhere.

It is not a point about asana politics. If one assigners or many. Its about my needs. I got your point, and so what? Im the user, here’s me needs. If jive would not cut out productive I wold never stuck with asana politics about one assigner per task. Its really big problem for people that working in small groups, for me as always do. If many assigners would be possible then just my politics would decide if I assign only one or maybe few. Maybe some popup could tell that to be careful about such actions, but not by forcing. thank you QuinnFan for pointing Quire. Maybe it will be a solution.

Uf Quire is too simple. Tasks doesnt have any description and so one. For me productive and dotProject set direction of task managers. First is out, second is died in 2005. But they covered my needs in 100% if jive would decide to continue his service as paid i would go with it. But this is not a topic about the others. Asana was selected from current on the top task managers as a not too complex, user friendly and so one so one. Its a really problem i I cant assign any one with me to a task. The time i got this information about assigners (probably for many) is the time to start looking for alternatives and finally move to another platform.

If Asana added this feature…You could still do it the way that works for you. If they don’t add this feature we can’t do it the way that works for us.

1 Like

I have tried to overcome problems in our team where teammates don’t recognize their responsibilities of task because they dont see their headavatars on the task. I made new profile to make “dash” which is for maintaining Asana style “One man rule this task!” but it’s like … he is responsible even if he is wainting on someone. It would be good if I can higlight people who I am wainting to validate my task or send me missing inputs for completing …

here is my illustartion example

If multiple people could be assigned I will make it like in the picture … if Assana devs create option to add minimalistic icons between main assign and secondaries it would be even better and more appealing at the same time. Thanks

Just want to throw my hat in the ring as well. This feature is definitely a nice to have. Our team works as a team and there are cases where having multiple assignees would prevent something from getting lost in the list of things in inbox.

I don’t understand how there is so much conversation surrounding this, in yet it hasn’t been adjusted. Give the people what they want :slight_smile:

I want this feature too. seems like an obvious addition!

It would be great to be able to assign tasks (and subtasks) to a group of colleagues. As an example, I may ask four of my colleagues to provide input on a project, but would want them all to be accountable and have visibility into each others thoughts.

Hi @Mike_Buono and welcome to the forum!

There’s an existing thread for that feature request; vote for it here:

Welcome to the Forum @Mike_Buono :wave:

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us! I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with the existing thread @Phil_Seeman has mentioned. I would too suggest to add your vote by clicking on the “Vote” button at the very top of the thread.

Have a great Thursday!