Assign multiple assignees on one task

Seems that asaanaa has no intention of fixing this. There is a possible workaround for this.
1.> You could create a mailing list, or mail alias that includes multiple recipients.
2.> Then signup a new user on your account using this alias.
This (tedious) workaround may work in certain limited scenarios.

Iā€™m not sure why heā€™s so passionate about NOT having this feature. Why NOT? He doesnā€™t have to use it.

2 Likes

Hi,

Does anyone know where I can check which ideas/feedback from Asana users hhave the most votes? under development, in discussion, tell us more, in planning or completed?

Microsoft is using UserVoice for collecting feedbacks for most of their products.
See here https://planner.uservoice.com/forums/330525-microsoft-planner-feedback-forum

Cheers

1 Like

Weā€™re currently looking for a project management solution. Itā€™s obvious from this thread that many users want this featureā€”because thatā€™s the way creative firms workā€”yet Asana is basically saying, ā€œWe donā€™t care how you collaborate, this is how we think you should collaborate.ā€ Thatā€™s just bad design.

Iā€™ve read the feedback and the reasoning given regarding this topic already and really feel I should bring it up again because not having this feature literally negates the reason I signed up for this service. I need to be more efficient and have an easier way of assigning tasks when Iā€™m not around, or just in general. Literally the first thing I tried to do was assign the same task to five people because that is what they are doing today. Iā€™m sick of having to tell everyone individually what they are doing so I got this serviceā€¦ low and behold I have to tell individuallyā€¦ They are all responsible for this task. There is one person who knows they are a designated team leader you donā€™t need to force that upon my organization, you simply need to make things easier and more efficient. I simply need to assign them all to the same task and itā€™s incredibly annoying that I should have to create the same task separately for all of them. If they are simply collaborators of the task that leaves room for people to shirk their responsoblities and itā€™s less than clear. This is a major blunder on your part and your reasoning is that it is by ā€œdesignā€ to fix some accountability problem you apparently think all businesses have. Having people as folllowers could lead to the very issue you are trying to avoid. I guarantee you many people have downloaded this app, only to find out instantly that this isnā€™t an option and they have deleted it for something more efficient. If you donā€™t fix this, I will find another service because this oversight prevents your program from fulfilling my needs. This is such a common sense topic, thatā€™s it leaves me wondering what else was missedā€¦ or should I say what other poor judgement call was made placing limitations on this platform? Seriously do yourself a favor and fix this ASAP.

2 Likes

Hi @Matthew_Culkin,

You donā€™t need to create the task repeatedly. You can create copies of the same task when you assign it. Click the icon with two people:

You can then assign it to a team (as shown here) or multiple people:

This way every person gets a specific task that needs to be completed instead of everyone pointing to the next person and saying, ā€œThought they were gonna do it.ā€

Hope that helps.

3 Likes

RyanE is right.
I donā€™t believe Asana will change their approach on this, this is too deeply ingrained in the Asana philosophy. Maybe Asana is just not for your business @Matthew_Culkin. Millions of people and thousands of companies manage to work this way, some canā€™t, and that is ok :slight_smile: Iā€™ll let @Marie from Asana give you an official answer :+1:

Bastien
Asana consultant, author and developer

2 Likes

Can I assign multiple people to one task and only see one task in my project workspace? Currently, when I assign tasks to all three team members, the task shows up three times in the project workspace and I would like for that to not happen.

Thanks!

You would have to assign them as Collaborators to avoid the duplicate tasks being created.

1 Like

You could maybe think of it a little differently. If all three people need to complete the task for the project to succeed it might make sense that the task is in there 3 times. If thatā€™s still not acceptable, another option could be to add the three tasks as sub-tasks of a larger task that is in the project. Subtasks donā€™t show up in the project by default (you have to go to each subtask and add the project to them for that to happen).

Asana doesnā€™t allow multiple people to be assigned a single task because it doesnā€™t lend clarity to task ownership. The three people could all assume someone else will do it.

2 Likes

Hey @tnrose87!

Iā€™m going merge this with an existing thread in our #productfeedback category. Youā€™ll find answers to your question there, plus a bunch of handy tips to help your workflow

We also address this in a post on our blog as well, which Iā€™ve posted below

PS: I love your explanation @RyanE!

4 Likes

Thank you for this information!

I concur on the feature request of being able to assign 1 task to multiple employees without creating copies of a task.

For example - If we have a task ā€œUpdate your monthly goalsā€ ; this is a team wide task. Creating multiple copies of a task assigned to each person on the team seems unnecessary when everyone on the team has this task assigned to them.

Asana should give the capability to assign multiple people to one task OR have the option to create duplicate copies of a task. Why not have both and give the business the option for a workflow that best fits the business needs and process?

1 Like

Because that is against their vision and experience that without one single assignee there is not accountability. I like it that they have a strong vision, even if I donā€™t always agree.

1 Like

I strongly support this. I see this has been open for 2 years plus a few days -
is there any forward motion to report?

Thanks.

Understand the rationale, but wanted to provide a suggestion as even with being ok with the rationale, the further functionality doesnā€™t seem as rational.

What about linking the task that you assign to multiple people (which creates copies of the tasks) so when everyone checks off their copy, the original task is automatically checked & completed?

Because if youā€™re creating a dependency off the Original Task, thereā€™s no automated way that the Original task is checked.

1 Like

I think one thing that NEEDS to happen for Asana to gain more widespread adoption is adding a ā€œMeetingā€ variation of the Task action. It would work like a task, with a single main assignee, but would show in a separate ā€œMeetingsā€ list / calendar. It would allow for multiple members, and would show up in their Meetings list w/ date & time, and theyā€™d be able to use the Description, Comments, etc. like a normal task. You could even assign other roles - for example, Note Taker, Time Keeper, etc - the main Assignee would be accountable for running the meeting, but many times there are multiple people who have various responsibilities that a 1 assignee system does not account for. And you could set Meeting length as well - for example, 1:00pm - 2:00pm.

The biggest problem with using Tasks for meetings is that unless you duplicate the task and assign it to each person, it doesnā€™t appear in their tasks list - and if you do that, any notes added to the description, comments or subtasks of the main task during the meeting arenā€™t visible to the people who were in it! And the problem with using Projects for meetings is clutter - we have so many meetings per day that itā€™s not realistic to make a Project for each one, and if we reuse projects then we lose previous notes or it gets super cluttered.

I strongly believe that if this was implemented, Asana would quickly be a viable alternative to Google Calendar, because most teams want everything in one place. And Asana is so much stronger than Google Calendar in terms of note taking, customizability and other features - all it needs is true multi-party meeting functionality.

4 Likes

Agree with @Matt_Werner on an implementation like this.

An use case for our company is there are sometimes things we want to be on every managerā€™s radar without cloning / duplicating the same task. Iā€™m not sure how this would be implemented from a UI standpointā€¦ perhaps something where when a task is assigned to a ā€˜teamā€™ it creates subtasks for each individual user to mark their portion complete before the master task can be closed out (which would be dependent on some improvements to task-subtask relationship)

1 Like

So Iā€™m using & loving Asana and so do some of my clients

It would be really valuable if a project or task could be syncā€™d across my and their account so they see progress on issues Iā€™m managing for them

Is it possible to sync selected products or tasks so they & updates appear in both accounts?

1 Like

Hi @Peter_Cornish, welcome to the Forum! :wave:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us, we are glad to hear you are enjoying Asana! Do you mean having a single task assigned to multiple users? Currently, it is not possible to assign multiple people to the same task, and this is by design to ensure there is always a directly responsible individual. You can read more about this here.

You can always add users as Task collaborators or in subtasks, but the intention is that there is always one person who is responsible for the next steps on any given task. If you donā€™t mind, Iā€™m merging your post with an existing thread on this topic, so that you can vote for this feature request :slight_smile:

2 Likes