Asana Templates 2.0 Issue Auto-Adding Project Members from Template

I am late (but excited) to use the Asana Template functionality (How to Use Asana Project Templates | Product Guide • Asana Product Guide) for a few of our onboarding and off-boarding processes. If I’ve missed a thread on this particular issue I’m facing below, please direct me there.

I’m trying to ensure that ~5-7 team members are auto-added at the project level each time we initiate a project by using the new template functionality, instead of the team members being assigned solely to their respective tasks without visibility into the greater project.

While I understand the “Can edit” and “Can use” functions of the template-creation process, I’m having to add the members manually to each project the template creates instead of having them automatically be part of it (like when I duplicate a project and can select to keep the same “Project members”). Has anyone found a solution for this, or even a workaround via a rule to add a member to the entire newly initiated project?

@KatieRose_Postelle,

While creating/editing the project template, you’ll see your profile image on the right toward the top. Click it and add the others you’d like to be project members (potentially removing yourself if desired too):

Note that this list has nothing to do with who can edit the template; that’s specified elsewhere in the template.

Hope that helps,

Larry

2 Likes

Thanks so much!

1 Like

Hi @lpb - I have found when using this functionality, the added members also get added to every single task as collaborators. And they are spammed with the task assignment (and then task update) notifications in their Asana in-box, so I have actually discouraged using this practice at our company. And then requiring us to add the team members once the template is launched.

Is there a plan to have this functionality updated to where members are added to the project only, and not added as collaborators to every task as default?

@Dawn_Cassel, I just tested it and this is exactly how it works currently. I tested with creating a project template from scratch, not from an existing project. But I do recall I was collaborator on tasks in a project template before, but I’m not sure if something changed (for the better) or perhaps I had created that template from an existing project where I already was collaborator on tasks.

In the last few weeks it became possible to multi-select in project templates, so that’s a way to remove collaborators from tasks all at once. But again, that shouldn’t be necessary, as I mentioned, for new project templates.

Hope that helps,

Larry

2 Likes

@lpb very helpful, thank you! You are right, I think the spam experience was related to creating the template from an existing project, and I didn’t think to check the existing collaborator-assigned tasks.

Also very excited to hear about the multi-select in project templates!!

I will test again and check my templates for assigned collaborators. Thanks again for the quick response!

1 Like

Great–thanks, @Dawn_Cassel!

This topic was automatically closed after 8 days. New replies are no longer allowed.