Asana for Outlook Add-In not working in Outlook application

@Pelle_Wijk The desktop Addin is only available for Office 365 outlook with an exchange Server Connected. With IMAP and Pop Server it does not work unfortunatly.

Am I understand right I have to use Office 365 subcsription for Echange and Outlook too?

We have Exchange online Plan 1 and the asana is working fine with WEB APP. but we use MS Office 2016 OLP installation and the ASANA plugin is not available in the desktop app.

a couple of our Staff had this very issue with the Add-IN this morning in outlook 2016:

ADD-IN ERROR - This add-in could not be started. Close this dialog to ignore the problem or click "Restart" to try again.

and the simple Fix was to enable Protected Mode in Internet Options:

1. In Internet Explorer, click the Tools button, and then click Internet Options.
  2. Click the Security tab, and then select the Internet Sites Zone.
  3. Select the Enable Protected Mode check box, and then click OK.
  4. Restart Internet Explorer and outlook
2 Likes

Thank you so much for sharing this with us @Jonathan_Stern!

Just to confirm, the Outlook desktop add-in does not work? Then why is it available from the Microsoft store as adn add-in to the desktop version of Outlook. This is a severe limitation, as your competitor’s software does not have this limitation,

1 Like

it works, @Casey_Hartmann, you just need to have Protected Mode enabled in WIndows.

Hi - I am not able to use the ASANA Add-in in Outlook 2016.
It’s installed, but when i click the button in the ribbon the side bar opens and is just a grey, blank color. Similarly, clicking the dotted items in emails brings up a grey, blank pop-up.
My company does use Office 365.
Any suggestions?

Hi @Kyle_Johnson and thanks for reaching out!

Can you confirm if this is happening on the web or desktop outlook app?

Have you tried to uninstall and reinstall the add-on?

Looking forward to your reply!

This is in the desktop app version 1808.
I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling. It didn’t make any difference.

Thanks for the quick reply @Kyle_Johnson!

A couple of follow-up questions:

• Is this only happening to you, or is it happening to other colleagues too?

• Can you verify that your admin has whitelisted the Asana add-in for your domain?

I have the same problem, asana was working fine in my outlook (desktop app version 1907) and now it runs a grey screen and it never opens. What is going on?

Hi, having the same problem. I cannot make Asana work in Outlook. App is installed but will not load. Have you fixed this problem yet?

Hi @Alexandra_Oberson and @Glen_Cooper and sorry for the late reply here.

I just got an update from our Team and this issue should be now resolved. Could you please confirm if it is working for you?

Looking forward to your reply!

No sorry. Added the add-in into Outlook and it still says “Add In Error”

Hi @Glen_Cooper and thank you for the follow-up! I’m sorry to hear that you are still running into this issue!

Could you please send the information below to our support team ? They will be in a better position to trouble this further with you!

• Screenshot of the error message
  • Version of Outlook that you have
  • If you have tried uninstalling and reinstalling?
  • Outlook email address

Thank you very much! I hope this gets resolved soon!

Outlook v 1902

Yes, many times

Did this ever get resolved?

For our office, it was a matter of enabling Protected Mode in WIndows.

1. In Microsoft Internet Explorer, click the Tools button, and then click Internet Options.
  2. Click the Security tab, and then select the Internet Sites Zone.
  3. Select the Enable Protected Mode check box, and then click OK.
  4. Restart Internet Explorer and outlook!

@James_Carl, this was resolved a good while ago, but since then other forum members have reported outlook related issue on this same thread, so I’m going to close it to avoid confusion.

@Jonathan_Stern thanks for sharing your tip with the Community!