Are "My Tasks" and Google Calendar sync features broken?

At one point, my tasks in Asana were being synchronized in my Google Calendar. As of the last few months, I haven’t been able to get this working anymore.

I’ve followed the procedures here (Sync Asana + Google Calendar, Outlook, Apple | Product guide • Asana) to re-sync it (e.g. deleting the calendar from Google Calendar, re-adding it), but it seems like it still doesn’t work.

If I just show the Asana tasks from my Google Calendar, it’s empty

When I go to my tasks in Asana, it looks like this:

which clearly shows that I have tasks today, tomorrow, and even Sunday.

Any idea what’s going on? For me, this is probably the most important feature of a project management platform, so that I can look at the calendar from Outlook or Google Calendar and know what my week looks like.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi @Alton_Johnson, thanks for reaching out and sorry for the issue here! Please note that the initial sync to your calendar should be instant, but subsequent syncs may take up to a day. If the tasks still not appear in your Google Calendar, could you follow these troubleshooting steps so we can confirm if this is a browser issue?

I could never get Google Calendar synching to work useably, and there were several other reports of trouble. Asana has always said that any issues must be on the Google side and they can do nothing. See the issues here:
How often do Asana tasks update in Google Calendar? - #26 by Stephanie_Oberg

If there’s someone out there who HAS gotten this synch to work reliably and promptly, that would be cool if they could provide info on that.

I’ve checked again just now, and found things even more unexpected than before. I have 2 calendars created in Google, each stemming from the same project in Asana. One was created several months ago (the October calendar), and the other I created just now (“April”). I display them in different colors in Google, so it’s easy to see which tasks came from which. The URLs are different (although the last 14 characters are identical), and many tasks are similar. However, there are some tasks, mostly complete, that appear on just 1 calendar, and some that appear on neither.

Per the website, only Incomplete Tasks should update. I find that NOT to be true; synching in October brought over (some, not all) completed Tasks that were more than a year old, while ignoring Incomplete Tasks due in the near future. I find it quite difficult to believe that Google could be creating errors of this nature. I would step very carefully before relying on this synching, even if it seems to be working to some extent.

Yeah this is pretty annoying. Does anyone know if Monday.com has these issues? We’ve been contemplating on switching anyway, so maybe this is a good chance.

Ha! Stephanie you nailed it! I’m encountering the same frustration here, trying to simply have a google calendar that automatically pulls from Asana. So far it feels unreliable and with a big delay. Based on the thread from last year about this, Asana sortof hand-waved it away as google’s problem and closed the thread (in the face of a torrent of concerned users). This is not good.

Just a little confused as to why they haven’t even chimed in with anything different. Is the solution to the same? Do we have to call 1-800-Gooogle to get help on why this isn’t working? It’s a bit crazy that I can’t just pop open my calendar to see what’s going on in my life, and that I’d have to login specifically to Asana to use their calendar instead.

It really sucks because the product works really well, but not being able to synchronize to the calendar is a huge deal.

Hi all, thanks for reporting this and sorry for the trouble!

Unfortunately I don’t have the tools in the forum to have a closer look at this issue and identify the error as I can’t reproduce it. If this troubleshooting steps didn’t work, I’d recommend reaching out to our support team following these steps: How to contact our Support Team :email: as they will be able to assist further. if you could provide them with the info listed below, they should be able to look into this for you:

• URL of this thread
  • URL of the project
  • Possibly a screencast (I’ve added some tips below), that would really help speed up investigations or at least screenshot illustrating the issue,

Screencast :
Loom is a great app for video screencasts: https://www.useloom.com/

In your video screencast, we recommend that you use a Chrome Incognito window and have your Javascript console open:

Try to include the entire browser window, including URL bar, in the video screencast.

I hope the issue is solved soon! Let me know if there is anything else we can help with.

Emily, would you mind telling us exactly what behavior you do see? Do you see immediate (< 60 sec) update of tasks from Asana to Google? (Please differentiate the first updating to Google from succeeding events.) If not, how long does it take? Do you see updates only on Incomplete Tasks? Do you see that all future Tasks are correctly updated into Google? Roughly how many Tasks does your project contain that should be involved in this updating?

This topic was automatically closed after 6 days. New replies are no longer allowed.