Applying a Rule to a Custom Field (Formula)

Hi there,

I am developing a Risk Register using an Asana project space (List).

I have added several columns (number) which indicate different metrics associated with a risk (ie. impact, cost, time sensitivity). Let’s call them Columns A, B, C.

Next, I created a column (formula) which performs a calculation using the aforementioned columns as inputs. Let’s call it Column D.

Last, I included a column (single select) which categorizes the risks as Low, Medium, High. Let’s call it Column E.

I would like to add a rule to automate the classification of the risk. For example:

• if the value in Column D is between 1 and 10, then Column E auto populates as Low.
  • if the value in Column D is between 11 and 20, then Column E auto populates as Medium
  • if the value in Column D is between 21 and 30, then Column E auto populates as High.

I have been playing with the Rule feature to make this desire a reality. However, I cannot use a custom field (formula) as a trigger for the rule.

Is there a solution here, or a possible workaround?

Kindly,
Brandon

Hi @Brandon_Collier
This is an excellent use case.

If I understood your workflow, you want the outcome of your rule to be Low, Medium or High.

At this point, I do not believe you can build rules based on numbers custom field as an input to the rule.

I believe one work around it could be to flip the coin.
So you create a rule that if the impact is low, then allocate a value of X
if the cost is low, then allocate a value of Y
Then you can create a formula of X*Y or however the formula is.

If you set it like this, you can then go further and create a conditional rule:
If impact is low, and cost is low, risk classification is low, etc… you can build all these conditions can be built into your rule.

These guide links might help:

I think it is worth creating a new post ‘product feedback’ for having numbers custom field trigger a rule.

Hope this helps a bit.

1 Like