Right now attachments are limited to specific files uploaded from computer and to specific file hosting services (Drive, Dropbox etc.).
Allow URLs as attachments.
Examples of cases:
- A task requires editing a page on our website. I want to add the URL of the page as an attachment.
- I want the team to read an article on the internet related to our job.
- I want the team to complete a training and I provide a link to it
- I want the team to review client’s website
- I need to add a link to a live dashboard.
- The content I want to share is constantly updating. If I download it and upload it manually, the team would see only one version, and would not be able to see up-to-date state of the attachment.
- There’s a critical file on a website and I don’t want to download it and upload it, I just want to give a link and skip extra steps (=save time).
Why pasting links to descriptions is not a workaround?
- Those URLs might be crucial for the project, and I want to have a quick access to those when I go to “Files”.
- If many tasks require work with the same URL, it’s easier to add it once as an attachment (to have it accessible from the Files), rather than copy/paste that link in every single task.
- I want to add a link to a folder in Google Drive which has all relevant documents for the project. Right now only individual files can be added which is not convenient for project with hundreds of relevant documents.
YouTube videos are common examples of URLs which are added to tasks. So it would be great to have those as a separate section and show the preview of the video.
If URLs get included to Attachments, we can use url of a video as a workaround. But it would be nice to have YouTube as a stand alone option.
PS: Attachments to Drive docs are actually working as URLs to those docs. So the overall approach would not be changed. We would just allow users to enter the url manually.