Advanced Search Not Finding Customer Fields in Portfolios

Briefly describe (1-2 sentences) the Bug you’re experiencing:

Using advanced search returns no results when in includes a custom field in a portfolio

Steps to reproduce:

Create a customer field (*eg I created “Project Focus” and gave it 2 values “Immediate Attention”, “Keep on Top”).
Include the field in any portfolio.
Set one or more projects in the portfolio to have a field value.
Then go to Advanced Search and add the custom field in the criteria.
It doesn’t matter what value you try to search for, no results will be returned.

Browser version:
Vivaldi 2.9.1705.41

Hi @Alex_Bailey1. Thank you for reaching out!

I believe this is not a Bug but rather a search limitation. As it stands, the Advanced Search tool only searchs for Global Custom Fields. It is not possible to ran an Advanced Search for a Custom Field that is specific for a Project.

There is an existing thread in the #productfeedback category regarding this topic. Please have a look at the workaround suggested: Search for custom fields project specific. You might find it helpful. And if you haven’t yet, I would also suggest you to upvote for this feature request!

Please let me know if you have any follow-up question! Have a great Thursday!

Hi Natalia,

I’m a little confused because I put this field into our company field library so doesn’t that make it global?
I created a similar field for tasks and then created an Advanced Search which works really well. I can list all tasks across all projects that have the custom field set to a specific value (eg “On Hold”). But the search fails when the same field is added to a Portfolio view against a project.

I think I’m realising now that the bottom line is that Projects aren’t returned in the any results, only Tasks.

… My last conclusion seems to be true. I just did a simple test as follows :-

I started typing the name of a client in the Search box and the drop-down list showed me both Projects and Tasks that contain this string.
While this drop-down is open, I clicked the Advanced Search link and then without changing any other criteria, clicked the Search button. It should return the same results but actually it returns nothing every time. Just the “Hmm… nothing matches your search” page.

Correct, many customer-created data entities are not searchable.