Add Trigger & Action Rules for Milestones

I just ran into this exact use case today. +1 for a vote here!

IF task is added to project AND if task is a milestone, THEN add to “name of strategic plan project”.

Also could @Emily_Roman or someone with fancy forum powers please merge this product idea with this one Ability to have a rule triggered when Milestone is Added (they are the same).

2 Likes

Hi @Kristian_Sekse, thanks for flagging this! I’ve merged the posts to centralize feedback. I’ll make sure to update the main thread as soon as I have any news about this feature.

I ran into a similar issue today! I would love to be able to drill down with rules to this level of specificity. This would also apply to “approvals”. I would love to be able to:

*Have all new milestones added to projects automatically get added to a project tracking my team’s milestones (I know there is some redundancy here with portfolios and the new goals feature, but I’d like this option all the same).
*Have all new approvals automatically populate to an “Approvals” project

*EDIT: Would also love to be ability to trigger from Milestone completion, eg whenever a Milestone is completed a Slack channel could be notified.

Agreed on all the feedback above! We have a “Master Content Calendar” that includes various milestones in a few projects. It would be great to have a rule set up to say if a Milestone is added, then add it to ____ project!!

1 Like

We use a work-around whereby we create a team member called Miles Stone. We assign the Mile Stone tasks to this team member.

You can then use the ‘assigned’ trigger to add to another project, for projects where you want the milestones copied to a master project. It can be triggered across the entire project or just for tasks in specific sections (which you can then maintain in matching sections of the master project).

It was also be used to report on milestones across all projects, by searching for Miles Stone’s tasks.

Bit of an extra step but it works.

This rule is incredibly necessary for my team since we need to be able to track and report out on all milestones across all projects. A few workarounds come to mind (i.e. setting a Milestone custom field, adding this custom field to all projects, and requiring colleagues to set this field when they mark a milestone; manually multi-home all milestones; etc.), but an automatic way to do this is absolutely necessary.

I am looking to set a rule that if a task is a Milestone it is added to another project. Would love to be able to display the milestones across our projects in one calendar. Please let me know if you have any tips!

Hi @Kati_Nortrup , welcome to the forum :smiley:

Unfortunately, currently, there is no rule trigger for milestones in Asana’s custom rules (Business tier), but you can certainly do this using Flowsana.net which is an amazing 3rd party app by @Phil_Seeman

2 Likes

Very frustrating that Milestone is not a trigger for a rule. Yes, I realize it’s in Flowsana but not all of us have access to that. This is pretty basic concept.

1 Like

Is it possible to create a milestone automatically. I.e. when a task is shifted to another section.

Currently it is not possible to create milestones via rules. You can look into Flowsana to achieve this.

Also I have merged your post into an existing feedback request thread where you can leave your vote at the top of the post.

Yes, like this:

You get that that via the action Create a task > click the View all fields button.

Thanks,

Larry

1 Like

Perfect!
Exactly what I needed.
Very good.
Andreas

1 Like

Thanks @lpb So close but was hoping I could turn tasks added to a project via form into a milestone. I don’t see that option yet, but could be missing it.

Right, this solution was only for Andreas, not your OP request.

A possible workaround for you would be to, in a rule, create a new milestone task by using Variables to essentially replicate all the info from the form submission task, then mark the original complete. But Variables are incomplete now, so if you have a lot of connected form fields to custom fields, you may not be able to get a good replical.

1 Like

this! also would be great if you can assign which section it falls under in the multihomed project.

Absolutely necessary. In addition to some of the great use cases noted by others, here is mine; When a Milestone is marked as completed (would love for that to happen automatically when dependent Tasks are all closed, BTW) a message is sent to a designated Slack channel.

Honestly it seems kind of silly that the Custom Rules function includes Tasks & Subtasks, but Milestones are not.