Add Project Status change to Rule triggers

is it possible to create custom rule actions?
or
is there a rule action that would change the color of the project’s border (or background)?

use case:
i want to do is change the border of my project to reflect the status of its dependencies (ie, if a dependency is at risk, change the border to yellow. if the dependency is off track, change the border to red) … so, i need to create a rule action that will affect the background color or border.

does this exist? can it be accomplished?

thanks

Hello @John_Nanavati, welcome to the Asana Community Forum. I’m here to help you with this question, but first I would like to understand first what do you mean with “color of the project’s border” and “dependency risk”.

1 Like

kind of like a traffic light status view. i want to create a rule that says something like - if the value of column “project status” changes to “at risk” then make the border of the project’s card become yellow. it would be ideal if this could be linked to a project dependency so that the top level project card would reflect a “warning” from one of its dependencies …

for example, i have a project with four dependencies. all four dependency status are “on track” so the project card’s border is green. if one of the dependencies becomes “at risk” then the project’s border reflects that there’s an issue and it changes to yellow.

i hope this helps to illustrate my intent

I see what you are trying to do here. Until now it is not natively in Asana. I think there is an actual post similar to what you are asking. Let me see if @Marie can help us merge this post with Any way to use Overview Project Statuses in rules?.

Cheers.

thank you. is this something that i should drop in feature requests or have you taken note and passed it along. (sorry, not sure of the preferred process)

Thanks for providing this feedback, @John_Nanavati and thanks for jumping in and assisting, @chilosada!

I’ve gone ahead and updated the title of this post to more closely reflect your request and moved it to the #productfeedback category to give other users the opportunity to vote for this request also.

I’ll keep you posted and let you know if we have any updates :slight_smile:

Hi,

I have created a custom field named Project Status. The same field can be found in my portfolio but also in each individual project. What I am trying to do, is to easily see the status of a project without going into it. So if the Project Status is set to In progress - Design , I want the same field to be updated under my portfolio based on that status.

Can I create a rule to that?

Hi,

At the moment, rules in Asana only applies to tasks and can’t do anything related to projects.

Hi @Carmen_Boagiu, welcome to the Asana Community Forum :wave:

While this feature isn’t available at this time, hopefully it’s something our Product team can implement in the future

We do have an existing thread for this feature request in the #productfeedback category so I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with the existing one to consolidate feedback.

I’ll keep you posted and let you know if I have any updates :slight_smile:

I second the idea. Rules with project triggers and project actions would be awesome for clean-ups. When project has status finished do archive project (and, optionally, move to different team).

Love the thought.

Would it be possible to create a trigger when a project progress and status is updated?

E.g., Project status is updated - same update is posted in Teams channel.

Hi @Mark_Lugowski and welcome to the forum,

FYI I moved your post to an existing topic for this request. Be sure to add your vote for it using the purple “Vote” button at the top of the thread!

1 Like