Accidentally adding tasks just by clicking blank spaces or clicking "Enter" after creating a task

Certainly not! I am using blank tasks as a separator, that would make me very upset :slight_smile:

@Bastien_Siebman Certainly you can add a space or assign the blank task to yourself to make it stick. That’s so much better than forcing this frustrating behavior on the rest of us. We hate having to delete these accidentally created blank tasks manually through a lengthy delete process.

PS: you may want to look at “Sections” feature.

I know about Sections but usually add an extra blank line before any section, it feels too cluttered otherwise. This is the kind of good practice that needs to be decided inside teams :+1:

+1. Please implement.

Hi guys, just merging this thread with Accidentally adding tasks just by clicking blank spaces or clicking "Enter" after creating a task as they are very similar!

2 Likes

@Marie any plans from Asana to address these empty task problem?

Hi @vridaw and thanks for the mention! I don’t believe this is in plan for the coming weeks, but I’ll make sure to keep you posted as soon as I have an update!

Logging in to add another data point to this request. By far the most frustrating feature I’ve come across. Currently evaluating Asana for use in our office and I can’t deploy it with this feature/bug the way it is. Too many empty tasks, ends up clogging up the project.

Same issue here, would like to see this fixed!

It has been a while since I posted on this, over a year ago. Still a user, but this issue and unconventional nature of keyboard shortcuts in general has hampered my ability to increase adoption and use of Asana across my organization. Wish I could vote again on this suggested modification. You lose a lot of business because of it.

1 Like

This one is the most annoying to me, I’m looking to see if there is a way to disable this “feature”.

1 Like

Totally wrongly merged. This is a big issue and you just killed the thread by merging it with something that is not even related.

I’m not sure what you post you’re referring to @Carlos_Olivares, but feel free to DM me with more details.

I’m talking about the annoying “Enter Key creates a new Task” feature that a lot of people hates. It has nothing to do with “Adding tasks just by clicking blank spaces”. That is a different problem and it should be addressed separately. I ran into the great post by @Oscar_Hillestad and I wanted to vote it up, like it or reply to it and I couldn’t because you killed the thread and added it to something that is not the same issue at all. In the thread that you killed it has over 800 views and nobody can either vote it up or anything because you closed it, without a solution and merged it with a non related issue.

@Marie cc @Carlos_Olivares:
The issue you merged my post with has nothing to do with my issue, as @Carlos_Olivares pointed out. This thread is about accidentally adding tasks by clicking blank spaces. My thread was about the fact that pressing the enter key creates a new task.

Hi @Oscar_Hillestad and many thanks for the additional details, I now understand what you mean :slight_smile: Many people have mentionned both clicking empty space and clicking enter in the same post (here and there for example) and since both action create a task I though it would make sense to merge them. I’m hoping we can build a case quicker for both these issues to be addressed.

I’ve gone ahead and edited the title of this post so it better reflects these two aspects; thanks again for your time and patience!

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Annoying Upgrade button, annoying Portfolios, Annoying Asana (?)

This seems like a poor UI choice. On the web app, once you have finished typing a title/name for a new sub-task and you hit the Enter key, you are presented with another new un-titled sub-task even though I only wanted the one. I could understand this if deleting the new unwanted sub-task were as simple as pressing the Delete key but instead I am required to click on the blank sub-task’s “notes & comments” icon (right), then on that view’s ellipsis icon (upper-right) then on that fly-out’s “delete task” item. I propose the Enter key simply commits the new sub-task (exit edit mode). Please fix. Thanks. -Stu

1 Like

This issue has been raise over 3 years ago. Why can’t this be prioritized and fixed? I can’t imagine that this would take a competent developer more then a couple of hours to fix. If a task/subtask is completely empty, delete it when focus moves off.

1 Like

The behaviour seems like a hack so people could paste in lists, it honestly does not agree with my typing behaviour. At the least I’d expect an option to control enter behaviour, the same way I can use SHIFT+Enter on most apps so I can type newlines freely.

So, if Asana insist on this being the default behaviour, at least give a per-user option to override the behaviour of the most popular enter key.

For what it worth, adding tasks via enter and random clicking is giving me a grief as it generates noise into Slack integrated channels.

To be clear…

give us an option to change the default behaviour of clicking Enter

require two mouse clicks to create a task

verify via dialogue that a user wants to create an unnamed task

Please action so you can nuke this thread :slight_smile:

3 Likes