Accidentally adding tasks just by clicking blank spaces or clicking "Enter" after creating a task

An annoyance I am coming across hourly with asana is that I often click blank spaces to ensure I am on the right window of my computer… Unfortunately in Asana, this creates a new task - which is great. However, if that task is left blank it remains there. And the next time I click in a blank space, it adds another blank task. Eventually I end up with a list of blank tasks that I have to go through and delete.

Ideally, it would ‘create’ a task if I clicked a blank space, but if there is no information entered into that task, then it would disappear when I click elsewhere…

Very surprised that this is how the tool works as from a UX perspective it is easy to program the other way and is very annoying as a user.

8 Likes

That’s odd. Are you sure you haven’t accidentally created a bunch of empty tasks and now you’re clicking on them bringing up the task pane?

Thanks for the reply paulminors!

I am sure that’s not the case. Is this not something that others are experiencing? I does seem strange that this would be the default. I am using Chrome on a Mac, so perhaps that is playing into it…

3 Likes

No, I’ve noticed this as well @Adam_Ford. It’s something I’ve learnt to avoid, but I agree that it would be a bit slicker if no info entered = no task created.

13 Likes

Yes I have this annoying problem too. Could some kind person tell me. how to avoid the additional of blank tasks. I have to keep manually deleting them. I use to use Basecamp. Thanks!

4 Likes

+1

This is my one big annoyance with Asana is all these blank/empty tasks everywhere.

13 Likes

Hi,

This is a real PITA.

You need to get on top of this quickly. It’s not a feature, therefore it’s a …

It has only appeared recently in one of your updates.

To create a task accidentally is one click. To remove it now takes: ‘select task’, select field and then ‘tab-backspace’, then select ‘delete permanently?’, then select ‘delete’, then close the empty frame.

It eats time and is VERY annoying.

Please fix.

13 Likes

+1.
Same thing happens when you hit ENTER after adding a task.
And you have to than go into the task and delete it manually.
Which is quite annoying.

14 Likes

I mean… This is so annoying. I am about to change for another programm just because of that.

8 Likes

Ditto. Searching for new app.

4 Likes

Asana, please!! make this a setting that I can disable. I see the utility of it for some people, but for me 99% of the time it ends up creating tasks that I just then have to go manually delete. Thank you!

3 Likes

+1, this is a daily annoyance. There should simply be an option to auto-cancel/delete/ignore tasks that are accidentally created with zero content.

4 Likes

+1 I agree and share your frustration on this one!

2 Likes

Seriously this is the only complain i have with asana, for now i just change all my project lists to kanban view for this annoying issue.

1 Like

+1 on all of this… new to Asana and I think it is really cool - except for this stone-age issue where the system isn’t smart enough to discard an empty task. It’s difficult to fully adopt the platform with this time-suck issue on an application that should be all about working efficiently.

3 Likes

Is there any response from the Asana team on this very annoying issue?

3 Likes

+1
Clicking on blank space below the tasks and “hit enter to create new task” is really annoying.
A disable for these functions would be awesome.

2 Likes

Agreed. I am new to Asana just this week. Love the product, but have found this to be an annoyance, too.

3 Likes

Agreed here as well, we are just starting to use the product, thinking of going premium but need a solution for this annoyance.

Thank you,

2 Likes

Definitely my biggest issue here. keep thread alive and Asana Staff please reply.

2 Likes