Ability to view assigned subtasks in Portfolio Workload

In Asana, a “task” is a report. Typically we have multiple editors working each report (i.e. task). Since we cannot assign a task to multiple people, we use the subtasks to assign work.

One of the reasons we upgraded to Business was to be able to use the Workload view in Portfolios. Currently we can only view the tasks an editor is assigned to. However this does not work for us since our editors are typically assigned to subtasks.

It would be VERY VERY helpful if we had the ability to view all the subtasks each editor is working on.

26 Likes

Subtasks are not part of any project (by default) so that kinda make sense to not see them in workload, because workload is based on projects from a portfolio. There is however an existing thread on the subject.

It should probably be in Product feedback cc @Marie

Welcome to the Forum @Jenna_Guarascio and thank you for sharing your feedback with us!

As @Bastien_Siebman mentioned, there is an existing thread regarding this topic. Please have a look at my colleague’s post here to learn how to make subtasks appear in Workload.

I hope this helps Jenna but please don’t hesitate to reach out in case you have any follow-up question!

1 Like

For our team we have lots of tasks that are for big campaigns or projects that span many months. Some days there may be no work to be done on a specific task, and others it could need hours of attention. Unfortunately, under the Workload view, it distributes hours evenly for tasks with a date range. There’s no way to indicate that this task is taking more/less hours on any given day without just having to make new tasks for everything.

I think what would help here is showing subtasks in the workload view. This way while the task itself may span many months, I can still track shorter subtasks and report back accurate capacity day to day for my team.

3 Likes

Welcome to the Forum @Scarlett_Miller :wave:t5: and thank you for sharing your feedback with us!

I’m merging your post with a similar thread we have on this topic to consolidate feedback and I would recommend you to have a look at the workaround provided here. You might find it helpful!

Have a great day Scarlett! :slight_smile:

I realized today when checking my workload, none of the sub-tasks effort inputs are indicated. It ultimately shows that my personal workload was less than half the day. Is there a way to include sub-task effort in the portfolio workload? Or is it a feature to be added at a later date?

2 Likes

Hi @Joshua_Ortiz. Good question. If you manually add the subtasks to the project (as they don’t inherit the project from their parent tasks) they will then appear in Workload. Check out this thread for details: workloads and subtasks . There is an upvote link in the thread to get this to happen automatically. Allow to automatically add subtasks to project Hope this helps!

Option one - I am not sure if Flowsana can achieve this, maybe @Phil_Seeman can help out here.

Another option, which is a bit crazy, but it works is that you create a Zap for each new project (yes I know :slight_smile: New Subtask > Update Task. In Update task you add the Subtask to the parent Project. Another option is New Subtask > Add Task to Project Section, depending on which fits better to your needs. We have 2000+ projects and we create manual Zaps for them.

Others may disagree, but:
if you want to use any of asanas advanced features like the project status, dashboard, workload, goals and rules, I’d change your asana workflow to completely get rid of subtasks wherever possible.

We just did the same, it was lots of work and is yet another change to our workflow, but fiddling around with subtasks just wasn’t feasible in our day to day operations because we have lots of projects with lots of tasks and subtasks.

Imo subtasks are more or less useless in active project work because most features don’t work with them.

2 Likes

Hi @Joshua_Ortiz, thanks for reaching out! Since we already have a thread in our #productfeedback category about this topic. I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with Ability to view assigned SUBTASKS in Portfolio>Workload. We’ll update the main thread once we have an update about this feature. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us!

:grimacing:

4 Likes

At the moment, Flowsana doesn’t respond to changes in subtasks unless they are assigned to a project, so I don’t think it’ll help in this instance.

@Bernie_Orelup Thank you for the quick response! This is amazing. It definitely would be convenient if it happened automatically, but now that I am able to apply it, the workloads are much more accurate.

1 Like

@Emily_Roman Thanks! =]

1 Like

Adding my voice to this ticket as it seems to be the best place to support. +1 on getting subtasks viewable in workload. I think this was mentioned in a linked forum article but I also work with cross functional teams and parent tickets tend to encompass one project and subtasks are all the individual team members whose work ladders up into the initiative (web site content, social promotion, email, etc),

2 Likes

We would really love to see this feature as well for our projects. We recently switched to Asana Business to have a powerful project planning tool and were quite disappointed that the workload of subtasks is not shown in the main overview.

Now we will have a huge amount of tasks and a way worse overview.

1 Like

The main workaround is to shift your mindset and stop using subtasks because they don’t behave the way people expect them to. But that is quite hard indeed.

2 Likes

We would really love to see this feature as well for our projects. We recently switched to Asana Business to have a powerful project planning tool and were quite disappointed that the workload of subtasks is not shown in the main overview.

Now we will have a huge amount of tasks and a way worse overview.

1 Like

It doesn’t have to be a problem, maybe using more projects, and using sections is the way to go in your case?