Ability to sort tasks (alphabetically) by Tags

It would be useful to be able to sort your task list by Tags. Projects I have been on have used Asana as a bug database and one of the tags has been severity/priority. Being able to sort by tags would root out lower priority tasks. This would also be useful to sort out different departments tags (art, code, etc) for larger projects to more quickly quantify the department’s status.

The workaround for this seems less than ideal. Creating dummy accounts to assign to that would be associated with certain tags or assigning to various due dates that are specific to tags (preferably well in the future).

6 Likes

I completely agree – crazy this was suggested nearly three years ago now and there is no action on this simple add.

4 Likes

It would be very helpful to allow a sort in list view based on tag in a project. I have seen this posted before, years ago, but nothing has happened. This should require minimal dev work as most fields allow this option already. Please add!

1 Like

Hi @Chase_Schaub and thank you so much for the feedback! We already have a thread on this topic, so I’ve merged your post to consolidate all feedback in one place. I’ll make sure to keep you posted via this thread as soon as I have an update! Hope this helps!

1 Like

Add the ability to sort tasks by tags.

3 Likes

I am not sure it would “make sense” because you can have multiple tags per task… How do you sort by a column having multiple values?

@Christina_Yates, You can do this in Asana2Go:

As @Bastien_Siebman mentioned, it might not work as expected when multiple tags exist per task, but I decided to leave this feature in for the cases where it was useful to folks.

Larry

How did you decide to code it @lpb?

@Bastien_Siebman, The column just displays the tags array as retrieved from the API so it will sort based on the start of that–the first tag listed. But if anyone wanted, they can in seconds modify the format to create a column for each specific tag of interest and then they could sort on that specifically. Just duplicate the current tags column and apply {{stringContains STR VALUE}} to the existing {{tagsValues tags}}.

Larry

1 Like

Tags lose a lot of their functionality if we can’t sort by them.

1 Like

Sorry, also realized we cannot FILTER by tags. I’m no longer quite sure what the point is of tags if we can’t do either of these things except a lovely visual.

3 Likes

On desktop we can sort tasks by project, due dates, creation time, likes, or alphabetical. It would be great if we could add “by tag” to that sort drop down.

Also I don’t know if this needs to be a separate topic, but getting the tag column on mobile would be a huge help, as well as sorting by tag on mobile.

Hi @Josh27, while this feature isn’t available at this time, hopefully it’s something our Product team can implement in the future

We do have an existing thread for this feature request in the #productfeedback category so I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with the existing one to consolidate feedback.

I’ll keep you posted and let you know if I have any updates :slight_smile:

1 Like

Checking in on this thread - there seems to be a loop of links from thread to thread about this. Please enable sorting by tags. Like many have mentioned, what is the point of a tag, if you can’t sort by tag?

What is the use of tags if it’s not possible to sort by them?

We have a project for all our invoicing. When the payment schedule has been added to a spreadsheet we tag it “Added to spreadsheet”. I can’t filter or sort to show only those which haven’t been tagged. Seems like the Filter>custom would be the perfect thing to add “By Tag”.

I searched the forum and I see that this feature has been requested by others. Please consider adding this to Asana.

Just to provide an update: Since I can’t sort by tags and it’s clear this is a feature that ASANA doesn’t deem worthy of implementation, I’m moving on to a workaround by adding an additional section and moving items to that new section instead of adding a tag.