Ability to set dependencies right in the subtask list in the main task

Dependencies are super useful, but setting them up can be a pain especially with subtasks. We often have tasks that are subdivided into subtasks that form a dependency chain - subtask 2 depends on subtask 1, subtask 3 depends on subtask 2, etc. Setting it all up requires you to go into each subtask and set the dependency, navigate back up to the task to then navigate down to the next subtask and set it’s dependency… it’s all pretty heavy.

What I’d like to be able to do is set the dependencies right in the subtask list in the main task. And I can think of 2 ways to do it in terms of UI.

1. Put a “Link subtasks” button in the More Actions menu of the task
    The benefit here is that it’s one click and all the dependencies are set up. The downside is that if you have anything more complicated than serial dependency, you’re back to navigating in and out of subtasks

2)Some key combo that puts you in “drag to make dependency” mode like in the timeline view
The idea here is you hit some key and the subtasks spread apart a bit to allow the blue grabbers on each subtask and you just drag the connections to each other.

The bottom line for us is that the UX of setting up dependencies is still too heavy. We need something better with regard to dependencies and subtasks.

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us @Matthew_McLaughlin! I’ve just slightly updated the title to make it more discoverable for other users. I’ll keep you updated as soon as I have any news about this feature or something similar :slight_smile: