Ability to insert hyperlinks

It seems that this post misses the point. The only way it shows the “Visit Link” is when it is a true URL (i.e. http_:\).

We need to be able to follow a URI link. (i.e. C:\users\bob\documents\RequiredFeaturesNeededInAsana.txt)

1 Like

The key would be to add a link within the description, not as a full URL, but as a bit of text linked to a url.

2 Likes

I’d love this feature as well. It would be very important in our documentation strategy.

Currently shopping for a new PM tool and the lack of this basic feature plus the failure of Asana to properly respond to to the community is going to be a deal breaker for my agency.

1 Like

Same here, so frustrating. We have over a thousand users and we just made a decision to shut down Asana for our company. Too many missing basic features.

1 Like

Cannot find or access this “Text Custom Field” feature in my organizations, paid or otherwise. How is it accessed? Is it definitely rolled out to everyone?

Hi @Gudlaugur_Egilsson, “Text Custom Field” is one of the three Custom Field types (Drop-Down, Number, Text) available when creating a Custom Field.

If you choose the Text type, you will be able to enter URL links as explained in this article here.

I hope this helps!

2 Likes

Found it, tried it, did not work. The link icon you highlighted did not appear.

Interestingly, the feature you need is present here, in the editor for this comment, so its really easy to do here. Self referential link. You need to go to a developer, tell them exactly how embarrassing and business critical this situation is, show them the “Hyperlink” feature in the editor of comments in this forum. This is not rocket science, this has been available in pretty much every rich text web editor I’ve used in the last 15 years, until Asana. So why it was not included from the beginning it is pretty much beyond my comprehension. If me and my business end up leaving Asana, this will be a big contributing factor.

3 Likes

+1 Vote

Please bring in the use of Anchor Text/Hyperlinks. Would clean up interface and save screen real estate, especially when copy and pasting large/long links

2 Likes

Is this in the pipeline?

The lack of this feature is the biggest complaint I have with Asana. I am curious, have you used Basecamp? What are your thoughts? I am preparing to evaluate for my company.

Please let me format correctly my descriptions!!! We need to link stuff outside of Asana’s world!
Give us Google’s ctrl+k, or Trello-like syntax text - not ideal but better than nothing.
Pleaaaase!

1 Like

+1 for hyperlinks in the description - we need this for our workflow.

2 Likes

Absolutely absurd that this feature is still not available.

2 Likes

Just found this thread as I discovered the inability to add links with anchor text in descriptions today. I will add my vote to what seems a futile campaign two years since this was first raised. We regularly link from tasks to procedures in our OneNote notebook, e.g. a task is auto-generated to follow an SOP that is documented in OneNote. The OneNote URLs are very long (as they are with other services like GDocs) and are also app URLs with onenote: instead of https: so there’s two needs here for us - ability to use anchor text, and ability to use custom/app URLs. Markdown support would seem the best way to implement this.

1 Like

+1 here. Kinda surprised this is not a thing yet.
To be clear: Asana is an incredible product and the lack of this feature doesn’t make it unusable, at least for me; nor do I agree with the commentary that comes from the angle “I’m a Software Engineer and if you haven’t built this yet you do not take customer feedback seriously”.

That’s ridiculous. I am sure Asana is constantly juggling a swath of priorities, including general product vision / evolution, technical debt, and customer feedback and feature requests.

Yes
 it seems that this one should be very simple. And yes, it’s kind of ridiculous it’s still not available. But then again - I’m not seeing how many other customer requests are getting built over time.

So
 +1

3 Likes

I quite like Basecamp though it’s a very different product. It has less features but it has all the critical ones (like adding links). Worth trying out both and seeing what is best for your org!

1 Like

Yes, this feature is very nice when writing hyperlinked comments. Without it, basically, comments are very limited
 I am very surprised that this isn’t already supported.

Absolute basic, integral feature; it’s rather embarrassing from my perspective to not have it.

It has been 2 years since and you must have noticed this is an essential blocker for many businesses who otherwise would love to use Asana!

@Asana_Admin: Can you please update when your user base can expect this to be fixed? Seems like a 2 week intern project rather than an unfixed issue for many years?!

3 Likes