A new way to write clearer, more detailed tasks

A lot of people here are suggesting to use Shift+Enter to make the cursor go down a single line, but the problem is actually when pasting from external programs. I made a short video explaining what I mean: https://youtube.com/shorts/jKySOlz0wyU

Stop the Effing double spacing and just leave Description box as it was. It is driving me crazy

Thanks for putting in the effort to make the description box better! Before it was quite lacking, IMO. There are some growing pains, but it will be better in the end. I’m looking forward to the final version.

Perhaps it could have used more time in closed beta. It’s one thing to beta test the software (which is pretty good) and another to beta-test the entire process, including the user-education and on-boarding pathways. This update got dumped on everybody, which is why there are some raised hairs. In the future, Asana might want to borrow the “new version” approach described here:

Today I got an email from my broker. They have an excellent Android app that works well but they’re replacing it. The email says the new app has these great new features but lots of stuff isn’t implemented yet. Please give it a try if you’re interested, and click on a button of the app to tell us what you like & what you don’t. And, DON’T DELETE THE CURRENT APP and keep using it as needed.

I installed the new app, tried it, and told them what I like and what I don’t. The app isn’t ready for prime time, doesn’t do a lot of stuff, yet I’m happy. My life isn’t disrupted, and I get to influence decisions regarding the new app to make it better. My view of the company is enhanced, not diminished. To me that’s a win for them.

[source]

Hi everyone :wave:

A quick update from me - Media embeds and inline images in the task description has just began to roll out today! :tada: We expect all users to have access to these elements of the new task description by the end of November!

Please let me know if you have any questions on these features :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hi everyone :wave:

Thank you all for your feedback on the new task description, we really do appreciate you sharing how this change will influence your workflow and how you plan to use the new formatting features.

During the launch phase, it’s helpful to keep all feedback centralised on this thread so that our team can see how users are feeling about a new feature. The team behind the launch of the new task description editor has been monitoring this thread closely and hears your feedback.

At this stage of the roll out process, I’d now suggest you create a thread in the Product Feedback category if you have a specific feature request and share your use case for this suggestion. This way, other users can easily find and also vote for your specific suggestion and add their use case in the comments too.

I’ll be closing off this thread for now but will reopen periodically to announce any updates to the new task description. Thanks all! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi all,

Just a quick update here to let you know you can now drag and drop images directly from your desktop into task descriptions!

DragandDroppictureintaskdescription

5 Likes

Hi folks, I’m excited to share that we’re launching our new content editor on Comments across all Asana surfaces, including tasks, goals, messages and status updates :partying_face: So you can now write structured and beautiful comments.

Please note this update will roll out gradually, first on web and API (Jan 31st → Feb 7th) and then on mobile (Feb 7th → Feb 28th). Bear in mind these dates are subject to change, if that’s the case I’ll keep you posted on this thread.

Looking forward to hear your feedback :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Hi all,

We’ve began rolling out a new option to convert text from your task descriptions into subtasks, allowing you to convert quick notes into actionable (sub)tasks.

ezgif.com-gif-maker (7)

Let us know what you think in the comments :slight_smile:

Note this update is currently available to 50% of users and will become available to everyone soon!

8 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 9 days.

Hi all,

Exciting news! We’ve just began rolling out tables in task descriptions! Tables are available via the + menu in your toolbar or with the / command. Check the GiF below to see what this will look like in-product:

Create a table with the + menu or / command . Add columns and rows:
Gif Tables

Copy a table from an external source into your task description:
Gif table 2

Please note we’re rolling out Tables gradually, so no worries if you can’t see it yet in your account, it will be available to you in the next few days!

10 Likes

Hello, is the table rollout complete? Not seeing this functionality in my Asana (Amazon).

Hi @James_Healey Not yet! It is rolled out to 50% of users now :slight_smile:

Hi, any update on this? It’s been a month. So looking forward to this feature!

I guess 3 weeks. A little over-excited :grinning: :grinning:!

Hi all! Table in the task description is fully rolled out to 100% users today!! :drum: :star_struck:

4 Likes