A better Dashboard for high level overview

@James_Carl, thank you very much. This is very helpful. I’ll review the links you provided ASAP. The hard thing for me is that some of our team already tried Asana and have already written it off. If I can convince the team to revisit this (that’s a big if), these links may help us build something that would work.

On a side note, you are absolutely right about the “buy in”. It’s so true.

Thanks again!

1 Like

@I am not a Betterworks expert. It was interesting when I asked to demo, here was there reply. " Right now the entry level package is $14,400 annually" because I put in less than 100 employees. To answer your question, I went through Gazelles Training that uses Rhythm software. They are very big on KPI’s etc so they design software that is designed to monitor at that level and then try to graft on executable tasks which in the end stands as my highest priority. “Vision without execution is hallucination”- Thomas Edison. My review of BW, Rhythm and Cascade seems to indicate the same thing. Asana on the other hand I believe fits nicely in task management, but I think it would be an understatement to just call them a task management software. I would call them “execution software” which is where I believe payback is most achieved. It is much weaker on Business Intelligence Reporting, (not non-existant, but weaker). This will either be accomplished through their road map, integrations or people using the API. But in the end, if a team is not executing and collaborating, BI reports lose their use. Custom fields can do a lot on this. In one of my posts I suggested using the Red-Yellow-Green system in a custom field for weekly huddles. Pull up only the Red and Yellow as the Greens are on track. Hope that helps.

2 Likes

I really am not @Todd_Cavanaugh marketing manager but I am pretty sure you could visit with him and he would be be candid whether Asana could accomplish what you need. Of course this board and @alexis are excellent also as well as the Asana Guides and Videos. The board though often tries to answer specific questions when people are trying to get a global overview to determine whether it will work. The guides and videos are excellent but making that global assessment needs advice from real life users. That is where @Todd_Cavanaugh may be able to help you with what I believe is a free initial consult. In the end you need to find what package will accomplish 80-85% of your needs with major weighting towards execution. Asana is not for everybody just like its competitions. If you have to create a patchwork quilt of bits and pieces it might not work, but their is no question it excels in buy-in and task completion.

2 Likes

Hey Sam! Editing abilities are earned based on trust level in the community. :slight_smile: Keep up the awesome posts and helpful replies and you’ll be able to edit your posts in no time!

1 Like

Ah that’s what I figured! :frowning:

Can’t wait to get my editing abilities!!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

The Community is still quite new and we’ve been super excited to see all this great feedback. Based on this trend we’ve started working on a process for capturing this feedback and incorporating it into our current roadmap process. While I’m not able to outline exactly what the feedback process looks like now, I can assure you that capturing and organizing this feedback for Community members and internal folks at Asana is a priority in these next few weeks. :thumbsup:

3 Likes

YES!!! @Peter_Skjoldager and @Dan_Olson we did it! With enough photo’s of BetterWorks and other softwares, links to the videos, and my boy @James_Carl thinking to himself “who is this crazy dude on the forums” (haha because we all know he’s thinking that!) we finally convinced our friend @Alexis to get a meeting going :slight_smile: #ItWasClearlyAllUs

@Alexis let me know when I need to be there in down town San Fran for the meeting for epic customer feedback :wink:

#MakingMoves

3 Likes

@Sam_Leahey if you are the crazy dude on the forum I am a charter member of the crazy group :slight_smile: and welcome to active membership. Ask @Alexis how much I have bugged her. She is a good sport though.

2 Likes

What Dan said… :innocent:

1 Like

I don’t want it to seem like two crazy dudes are the only ones with these wishes and ideas. I’m eternally frustrated by the landscape of PM software and again I find myself thinking about jumping to something (maybe even Basecamp), as the open tasks-can-technically-be-used-for-anything blankness of Asana is constraining and the hacks are tough to pick up for temporary people (clients, contractors, etc.).

So… +1 to making Asana about 4× more robust than it is now.
:slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hi all!

I like the suggestion on having not only the end dates, but also the possibility to insert the start dates and durations of the tasks (like in Instagnatt - one of Asana’s integrations). My team also asked for this.

I believe including these features will help Asana become a more project-oriented app, as having only end dates for the tasks makes it look like just a “to do list”…

2 Likes

@Alexis / @Sam_Leahey / @James_Carl / @Richard_Buergel / @lee / @Luiza_Gertz:

Just as an update… our team is most likely moving to Liquid Planner.:cry:

Note: Not my decision.

For all of the reasons listed above, Asana is not a good fit for our needs at this time. I desperately hope that it will be one day so that I can come back. Personally, I love it, but I understand why we cannot use it.

Anyway, I thought you would want to know the platform we may be switching to. Some of our team members in other departments have experience with Liquid Planner and have convinced decision makers to buy in. I put up a good fight, but ultimately lacked ammunition.

Don’t worry… I’ll still monitor the Asana Community!

1 Like

@Dan_Olson Sad to see you go but def give us some more details! I’m assuming the major reason is the dashboard overview metrics or was it something else that was the deal breaker(s)?

@Alexis speaking of, did you guys have that meeting yet about this dashboard overview/metrics issue? I remember you mentioning it was happening in a few weeks but lost track of that time. If it’s already happened are you allowed to share some of the general outcomes/decisions with us? :slight_smile:

@Sam_Leahey, see my first comment that highlights most of our needs in a tool. Asana is not advanced enough in those areas just yet. Also, the dashboards are not what they need. The management team would like to create custom dashboards and Asana’s dashboards are basic.

Side Note: I’ve tested LiquidPlanner for a few days now and I miss Asana big time.

1 Like

Well @Alexis mentioned a while back they were having some internal meeting about this dashboard meeting so hopefully the outcome will be what we all want! :-/

#LookingForwardToIt

@Dan_Olson thank you for letting us know! So nice of you. Certainly disappointed to hear this, but glad to know that you’re still finding enough value in Asana and our Community that you’ll keep stopping by. If there’s anything we can do to help sway your team or continue to help you with your personal use of Asana, please let us know! You’ve added great value to this Community and we hope you stick around. :slight_smile:

Jumping in late on this thread and can’t seem to find a better location for this… does Asana provide a simple report of who is using the tool and the number of tasks per person/team/project? We’re rolling this out and it would be handy to see how we’re going.

Hey @Nick_Wadsley, you can export any search as a CSV file. So you can search for all incomplete/complete tasks and run a few filters on the csv file. It’s not perfect, but it’ll get the job done =)

1 Like