A better Dashboard for high level overview

Thanks for starting these conversations, @Peter_Skjoldager, these are excellent ideas. In particular your point #2 above is the hurdle my team has identified preventing us from upgrading to premium (we’ve been free users for a while now). Without the ability to tag (or better, create custom fields to categorize) and then sort projects, the dashboard feature of Asana will not suit our vertical reporting needs. If this feature was created, Asana would definitely have our business.

5 Likes

Remember to vote this topic up. We need these improvements to the dashboard!!

Dont you agree @Sam_Leahey?

3 Likes

I don’t even know how to “vote up” lol. Teach me the path to greatness @Peter_Skjoldager!!! :frowning:

On top of the thread @Sam_Leahey:slight_smile:

1 Like

I love it @Peter_Skjoldager! We will get @Alexis to make this happen if it’s the last thing we do!!! :slight_smile:

#CrushingIt
#MakingMoves

Lol Sam you know I’m the Community Manager.

See How we’re listening to your product feedback

2 Likes

Oh we know it @Alexis! :slight_smile: We just don’t know who else to harass about it so you’re our go to for now lol :wink:

1 Like

This would be perfect, my team’s been searching for the right project management tool and I’ve been trying to push for Asana over Flow. But the only thing that my lead is won over towards Flow is its ability to create a large team within an organisation, and has multiple smaller teams. So its hierarchy isn’t just Organisation > Team, but Organisation > Group > Teams. And under this middle tier, one can have an overview of the various teams tasks.

I guess this would be especially useful for large organisations (that don’t use Asana), but where departments and sub-departments want to.

Cheers!

3 Likes

Your best option is to submit feedback and vote for feedback. The votes will do the talking. :+1:

2 Likes

Well I already voted at the top but what’s this “submit feedback” option you’re referring to? Where do I do that?

Submit feedback = create a post here. You’re doing the right thing :slight_smile:

3 Likes

We need this feature, we are more then a 1000 employ’s who want to use ASANA, if you are able to get the subproject working a lot of people will be very happy!

Thank you,

and don’t forget to focus on your TARGet!

2 Likes

I would support tagging projects. My consultancy manages several trade associations that are each composed of committees. Until now, committees have each been a project, but that’s getting unwieldy. It would be great to be able to tag different projects as belonging to its appropriate committee and for the project tags to cascade automatically onto all the tasks in the project (maybe have a toggle control on that as it might not always be useful, depending how the project tag was used).

3 Likes

@Alexis my entire team though we love Asana and we just signed up for a year premium and want to expand is now looking to cut bait and go to Jira. We want to stay on Asana, but the dashboard reporting doesn’t work to present to execs per the requests above in this thread…any updates on customizing dashboards? We can have custom fields in tasks, why can’t we create a dashboard to report on what is important to us by fields?

Also, we are using scrum methodology with sprints. We need to be able to see burn down, not how many uncompleted tasks are left. One idea was to create one sprint board by our two week timeframe and duplicate tasks from projects in that board, but we agreed that was extra work for us to work around the limitations we are running into. Any recommendations or best practices?

Thanks,
C

5 Likes

@Claude No update yet on customizing dashboards, but our team is aware of the reuqest. And here are a few threads where folks discuss the questions you’ve asked!

1 Like

Hey sorry if this is repetitive but has anyone found a way to share the dashboard? I am looking to cast it on a large screen on our shop floor. I am trying to avoid tying up a subscription just for this use.
Thanks

I wholeheartedly agree with the posts on this thread. My team desperately needs:

Auto-dashboards by team would be great. Right now each team member has to KNOW about each new project and then manually add them each week. This isn’t feasible, has too much opportunity for user error, and leads to incomplete dashboards (which is leading to people not using dashboards).

The Ability to Have multiple dashboards would also be useful. As the CEO, I technically want to know EVERY project and be able to glance through them. That said, I also have projects I’m specifically responsible for. To be able to create (and share) dashboards beyond my own personal one would be very useful!

The Ability to see what projects are (or are not) in a dashboard. Right now new projects get created all the time (each time a new client signs up with us). I have no way of knowing when they are created (or that I need to add them). Moreover, sometimes we’re too busy to do so. Hence either adding new projects (or catching up after falling behind) requires a manual compare and audit. With hundreds of projects this gets time consuming and isn’t feasible.

We have literally been trying to figure out ways to script work around solutions for these issues. Not having these features makes dashboards impractical to use for us. Asana, please make this a priority!

4 Likes

I am using Power BI integrated with Asana to solve this problem.
This will give me a better insight on what project in the team, filtered by assignee. Its task, due date. How many projects/tasks each person has? Were they completed? Which ones are not. How many? And so on.

It’s not perfect yet as I’m not familiar with Power BI. I’m planning to do it in Tableau, instead.

But for quick fix at the moment, using Power BI will do.

Hello, @Alexis !

First, I’m a HUGE Asana fan.

That said, my team wants to find a solution that will work for the following teams:

• Product Development / Documentation
  • Marketing (ultimately to be run similar to an agency)
  • Software Development (currently considering JIRA)

I’m the guy sort of heading the search for “the perfect tool” for everyone. Our wishlist includes:

• Flexible Scheduling Tool – Projects should not have to be locked into a specific date. Project schedulers should have the ability to shift dates.
  • Customizable Reports – Reports for Senior Leadership Team (SLT) should be high-level and quickly identify milestones and overall program status. Individuals closer to the program should be able to have access to reporting to more detailed information.
  • Representation of all Business Units – Project Management solution will be used for New Product Introductions (NPI). Project Managers should be able to represent all components including Hardware Dev, Software Dev, Marketing, Finance, Legal, Sales Enablement, Channel Readiness, Sales etc.
  • Integration into Product Management Solutions – Today the Software Development team uses TeamForge to track their Agile Development processes but some discussion has occurred with regards to transitioning to JIRA. Integration is important to avoid duplicated steps.
  • Project Budgeting – Being able to estimate project costs and continue adjustments as project timelines change and deliverables added.
  • Time/Billing Tracking – Required for Professional Services projects.
  • Resource Planning – Planning for resources including employees, equipment, facilities
  • Role Bases Users – Some users should only have rights to view while others should have rights to change.
  • Mobile Access – Users should be able to access remotely from their mobile devices with an optimized view.

Now, I realize that Asana can do many of these things, but it’s mostly at a basic level… if at all. A more robust dashboard that includes more detail beyond just the number of tasks completed vs. incomplete would be huge for us. Also, our team depends heavily on vendors for parts and materials that can cause several delays in our workflow. We currently do not have insight into which vendor is causing delays, how often and what are the implications of the delays. Having the ability to see a target start date vs. an actual start date (as well as end date) would provide us the insight we need into problem areas. I cannot tell you how many times as a marketing project manager that I’ve had to change a product launch date, but we have no record of changes, because the “stories” can easily be deleted. Not to mention that the stories become cluttered over time.

I say all of this, because there are several functionalities of Asana that are head and shoulders better than any other software tool I’ve researched. The task management capability is outstanding. What I want to know is, does Asana plan to build out more of these robust features that have been talked about on this Community, that will make it easier for teams to truly have the insight they need without having to build workarounds or leave Asana? I can tell you I’ve been testing JIRA, Mavenlink, Workzone, Wrike, ProjectPlace, Trello, Podio, etc. and they all are excellent at certain things, but are either too complex for day-to-day uses or not built for all types of departments. Asana is SO easy to use, customize and get things done. I REALLY hope that they have plans to build out more enterprise functionalities that will enable Asana to truly dominate this space.

Phew! That was a data dump… sorry. Just my two cents after frustratingly searching for a tool for my organization for months, watching demo after demo. At the end of the day, I just love Asana and wish my team could too. Sadly, we’ll probably end up with something else.

Thanks for listening,
Dan

11 Likes

@Dan_Olson welcome to the club!!! :slight_smile:

HAHAHA it’s almost funny at this point to see yet ANOTHER thread requesting/complaining about the same thing that we all want! Hopefully Asana peep’s will take notice that this is a continual problem that affects all kinds of businesses across the world (and here I was just thinking it was me being OCD/picky lol).

Dan, I researched a ton of options and the one I like best that I hope Asana copies a better version of this view made by BetterWorks:

Here’s of video of how they work it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlYKcztWJUE. Is this what you’re getting at specifically? I know it is for me and my company and I can’t wait until Asana makes their version of this!

4 Likes