A better Dashboard for high level overview

I don’t have a solution (yet) I need to re-read your message, but I can already tell you that I build custom dashboards for clients, which content comes from Asana, are 100% customizable and hosted on a private URL to be shared to others.

Bastien
Asana consultant, author and developer

@Daniel_Stanton, check out this topic which asks for this among other Dashboard improvements.

My work around is to use the Asana feature that allows you to open the dashboard in Google Sheets. From here I can do a lot more to arrange and format the data. Then I share that Google Sheets with the team.

Hi guys! Merging this thread with A better Dashboard for high level overview to avoid duplicates! Hope that’s ok! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Our team is new to Asana too. I have been searching for the Team Dashboard and found this thread. I really hope this happens sooner than later. We pull Asana up in our meeting and look at the dashboard on my login (Admin) but it doesn’t allow us to see the Project Owners status updates. WE NEED A TEAM DASHBOARD!!! :):grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning:

Hi Bastien, I didn’t read all comment but can you extend your comment here? Best JM

MULTIPLE DASHBOARDS: Right now I can only create a single dashboard. I try hard to show people ONLY the Asana info they’re interested in, to avoid the user perception that there’s a huge amount of extraneous info to be waded through in Asana. I find myself constantly rearranging the sole dashboard and adding or deleting projects…so I can make the single dashboard work for every group I meet with. Having to rack my brains to make sure I’ve put back all the right projects every time does not help my productivity. I would like a chance to create multiple custom dashboards.

SHARING DASHBOARDS: Also, my dashboard can be used and seen only by myself…for other users the best I can do is coach them or urge them to create their own dashboard. I would like to be able to share a link for the custom dashboards.

Project count and task count: I sometimes wonder if Asana developers and testers take into account useability for larger teams or those with numerous projects and tasks. Some functions and especially workarounds may make sense if you only ever work with 5 projects each with 50-75 tasks. E.g. solution where one creates a tag to make up for the absence of multi-level sort…or where one moves completed tasks out of a project to avoid clogging up the timeline view. I have at least 30 projects active (I don’t know a way to actually see all of them to count :slight_smile: ) and a task count from 300-1000 is nothing out of the ordinary. When the task count blows up, that’s when the fully featured filtering and sorting becomes essential.

This would change my life. I totally agree.

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us and to provide us with some context @Stephanie_Oberg, really appreciate it! This is definitely something on our radar; if you haven’t seen it yet, I’d recommend checking out this video in which Justin (Asana co-founder) talk about our vision for the future of Asana; I think you will find it interesting.

We already have a thread on this topic in the Forum, so I’ve gone ahead and merged your post with it to gather all feedback in one place; hope that’s ok! :slight_smile:

In case folks haven’t seen yet, dashboards are going away: About Dashboard deprecation - #2 by Thawatchai_Saengtham . It’s unclear how the Asana team plans to replace them (we can hope that Portfolios will cover some of our use cases), but further discussion on this topic belongs on that thread.

Here’s a thread that I opened yesterday which can give you an idea of how my team is using multihoming to manage project/team hierarchy, without dashboards, and a specific feature request to make it really “work” for us: Sync priority ordering between multihome projects . Maybe it will help some of you find a non-dashboard solution.

A multihome “parent project” containing all of the relevant tasks is a useful overview and would be especially so with the feature I requested there.

For @Stephanie_Oberg, @Laura_Johnson and perhaps others who commented in this long thread, you may want to check out (new as of yesterday):

Asana2Go Adds New Projects Dashboard/Roll-Up Feature (and partial relief for Asana Dashboards removal) Integrations

[image] Asana2Go now creates projects dashboards with rolled-up information from multiple projects and teams including the latest projects’ Progress Status Updates. One key use is as a substitute for some of the functionality of Asana Dashboards which will no longer be available in Asana after Portfolios is released, a new feature with a new tier/fee. But that’s only one example usage. You might need to report across multiple projects for various reasons, and A2G formats are customizable. No…

For a short video of this new Asana2Go feature:
Demo/How-To Video - Asana2Go Projects Dashboard/Roll-ups

@Stephanie_Oberg, you can easily have multiple, simultaneous Asana2Go “dashboards” just by creating multiple Asana projects.

Thanks,

Larry Berger
Asana2Go & Asana Certified Pro consultant at Trilogi

2 Likes

In that video about the future of Asana, which of those new features will be available for premium members/organizations?

1 Like

I spoke to someone in Asana sales yesterday. It looks like unless you upgrade to an “Enterprise” plan, which is apparently a thing now and extremely expensive, there will be no replacement for dashboards.

1 Like

This is such a great new feature, Larry. Really handy for presenting to senior management. Nicely done. :+1:

1 Like

Obviously they are going to cover the “dashboard” feature with the upcoming OKR Feature they’re rolling out - Unveiling the Future of Asana • Asana.

It’s interesting but I feel like a lot of these “task management” softwares and “OKR softwares” are essentially heading to the same end game but from different starting points.

My money’s on Asana to win it all! :slight_smile:

@lpb This is awesome!!!

1 Like

@Marie Any update on which new features in the future of Asana video will be available to Premium users?

1 Like

@Marie Can you share in details about which new features in the future of Asana video will be available to Premium users?

Hi @Brian_Massey,

We’re still working on building these features and I don’t have yet information regarding their availability; I’ll make sure to update you as soon as I have more information!